Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pinion Nut From Hell........

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Waxer, May 29, 2000.

1. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

My 14 bolt FF has a pinion seal leak and I'm trying to get the nut off. I have a 1/2" thick steel rod that I drilled 2 holes in it and bolted it to the yoke so it wont move. Then I put the breaker bar on the socket and then on the nut. I put the jack underneath that breakerbar and jacked it up until the truck almost started coming off the ground. Then "pop", the breaker bar breaks. Tried it again with a 1/2" drive ratchet and it broke that as well. Why isnt this sucker coming off? I had this axle installed/rebuilt by a shop about a year ago. Any ideas? Tips? Secrets?

2. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If you have access to an air compresser , use a impact wrench . A 1/2 inch wrench should work just fine or even a 3/4 .

3. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Let me add to the post, I have already tried my impact wrench. It wont budge with that.

4. 1bad2

1bad2 Registered Member

I sure hope those tools were Craftsman! I think I would take the truck to the people who built the rearend and tell them that the pinion seal is leaking and have them fix it. It will be alot easier and less fustrating and besides it can't be all that expensive if they won't fix it under waranty.
    Curtis

5. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

That is the nut form hell have you tryed an exersisem. [​IMG]
    You could try welding a box end wench to a long cheater bar I dont know if it would work but it might.

[​IMG]Go prepared
    </font color=red>90 k5 soon to be big, bad, and mean

6. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

You need to find somebody who has a 3/4 inch drive breaker bar or ratchet, then add a big long cheater pipe. We have them here at work that I borrow sometimes for just such occasions. At a certain point, there is no substitute.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

7. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

They used locktite on it and you have to warm it upp real good to loosen upp the glue. Try it.

<font color=blue>Espen88k5</font color=blue>