Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

*&^&&&^*& PINION NUT is really gonna cause me to go crazy! HELP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudNurI, May 17, 2003.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Last week- John and I were meeting Greg72 for dinner, and I was all set to bring the K5, even though it's running really rich- it wasnt that far away etc.. I go drop off 1 kid at my mom's, trucks fine- head out to my brother in laws- drop off the other kid- come back into town and wudn't ya know it- that damn jake brake noise is back in the driveshaft area when I let off the gas- by the time I got home- it was the loudest noise I'd ever heard. Since we had to get going- I just left the stupid truck....didnt touch it until yesterday afternoon, I put it in neutral and sure enough- its the pinion nut again.....

I pulled everything off- being careful with the u-joints- I had the cooler underneath to hold the driveshaft in place etc. I get the nut off- take off the washer as well, clean them all up- clean up the threads REAPPLY lock tight- which I had done last fall......this time I did NOT replace the nut- my plan was to see if it would last or how long it would- if not I'd replace it....Its not an easy nut to find here, it usually take the John Deere (dont laugh- that where I get all my bolts/nuts etc) dealer about 1/2 hour to find the right one. Anyway-

It all goes back together- the U-joint was not being very friendly- and really was a puke to put back in...BUT it went, I got it all tightened down- and low and behold what do I find????

MY DAMN U-JOINT IS SHOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there's about 1/2" of movement each direction.....UUGGHHHHH

so- my question is- what do I need to know to buy a new u-joint? My truck is made up of parts from many different year trucks, I'm not sure which info I'm going to need.....

What a PIA....

thanks guys
    Brandy

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

What rearend ya got? And t case.

John

3. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

Need more info on the other stuff. It will depend on rear end and t-case as stated above.

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

old ujoint have any numbers on it?

5. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

haha, i kinda jus went through this, was gettin the horrible vibrations and stuff, asked yall, you said pinion nut and seal, bought new both ($8) at Young's, got under there again to begin operation, and my u joint was blew to hell, and thaz the 4th total on the rear shaft in about 6 months, AND THE TRUCK/TIRES ARE STOCK, but ya and get ur rearend, tcase, and bring in one of the end caps to see if they match...

6. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Brandy.....most likely you have a standard 1330 ujoint with your 10 bolt rearend. Take the old one with you to the parts house and compare cap diameter and cross length. It shouldn't be difficult to find. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

It's not a 10 bolt- I've got a 12 bolt rearend- and the 208 transfer case......

I'll take it back apart AGAIN.....and bring the stupid u-joint down.....the worst part this thing had ZERO play in it until the pinion nut came loose again......which I'm thinking blew my u-joint.

All caused from the stupid pinion nut not staying on.....I'm bout ready to use some super glue.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Wudn't ya know it's gonna be beautiful out next week- I am ready for my CK5 calender pics...and sure enough the damn trucks down for a few more days.....UUGGHHHHHH

Once this u-joint goes in- the tops comin off- come h&ll or high water!--------that's my trucks top just so you know---

thanks guys

Brandy

8. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you're re-using the pinion nut, sometimes just loctite won't hold... You better stake the nut also with a chisel so that the nut can't back off the threads.
    There was a post around here not to long ago where someone re-used the old pinion nut, and it came loose while he was driving it..... the pinion nut fell off and the pinion fell into the housing destroying the gears, housing, everything.
    You were actually lucky it's just a ujoint.

9. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Well, since you have a 12 bolt instead of a 10, then you'll need a 1310 u-joint. IIRC, the part number is 1-0153. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    There was a post around here not to long ago where someone re-used the old pinion nut, and it came loose while he was driving it..... the pinion nut fell off and the pinion fell into the housing destroying the gears, housing, everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had that happen, but I didn't post about it.

11. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Well, since you have a 12 bolt instead of a 10, then you'll need a 1310 u-joint. IIRC, the part number is 1-0153. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

so I can go into any old parts store and say 1310 u-joint and they'll know what I'm lookin for ???

thanks
    Brandy

12. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Any good parts store should be able to cross reference it. They all refer back to the Spicer number which is 1310. Have the parts counter jockey look up the rear joint for your truck and see what the part number is, and compare it to your old u-joint. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

Brute Force #3-3130 availible at autozone 10 to 12 bolt p/n
    The 12 bolt (1310) to 14 bolt (1350) is Napa number 348
    The 10 bolt (1330) to 14 bolt (1350) is Napa number 447

these are some part numbers from a post i did when Aztec77 bought my old driveshaft and he needed them. hope they help.

rick

14. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

I went into Autozone and asked for it and it came right up. Good luck.