Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pinion nut stripped, damn!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76K5, Mar 10, 2003.

1. 76K5

76K5 Registered Member

hey everybody,

I went to replace the pinion seal on my Dana 60, simple right? Anyway, i marked the nut, pinion, and yoke. Next, the Matco air gun got a workout, the nut was stripped beyond repair. So my question is if i get a new nut that is the same height as the old one and have the same number of threads exposed will that be close enough to work? I would hate to tear up my gears by having improper backlash. Should I go this route or pay someone to set the backlash? Thanks for the help. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

A Dana 60 uses shims to set the pinion bearing preload, not a crush sleeve. You will not have any issues with replacing the pinion nut on a Dana axle. In fact, you really should replace the nut any time you take it off. It didn't mess up the threads on the pinion gear, huh? Just torque it to spec (whatever that is, I am not sure).

3. 76K5

76K5 Registered Member

That's cool, thanks for the info! Anybody out there know what the torque spec is? Thanks for the help. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

240 - 300 ft-lb. Looked it up for ya.

5. 76K5

76K5 Registered Member

thanks man!

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Looks like you got your answer, but I just wanted to let you know that by overtightening the pinion nut, you will not affect the backlash, you will affect the pinion bearing preload. That's not an issue on the D60 because it's set with shims, but for a crush sleeve type axle that would be the problem caused by overtightening. Just my useless contribution to your knowledge. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif</font>