Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pinion preload & crush sleve

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89BlazerK5, Aug 24, 2003.

1. 89BlazerK5

89BlazerK5 1/2 ton status

ok. i set up my gears last night. 10 bolt front. got perfect backlash on 2nd try. i don't have much money in this axle. it's all used parts. i bought new axle and pinion seals. using all existing berings. i haven't bought a crush sleve. i was thinking about just putting it together with an old one. hmmmm. is it possible to get decent preload on the pinoion berings without a new crush sleve??? the damned thing is $30. and with all the money i have in these damned expensive National brand axle seals, i'd be better off returning all that shieat, and buying the freking install kit from NAPA or Orlieys for $100. - and that would come with new berings and everything. i really didn't want to spend much on this wreched axle. so, i know everyone says, you need a new crush sleve and all, but would it be possible to use an old one? it is a FRONT axle, so it's not being used all the time. i just don't want to destory my pinion berings, and gears. keep in mind, i only have about $50 invested in axle seals, pinion seal, gasket, etc.

2. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

You have answered your own question about breaking parts so go out and get a new crush sleeve and do it the right way.

3. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Randy's ring and pinion had a crush sleeve for my 14b for around $13. And, from everything I've read and been told, you absolutly should go w/ a new crush sleeve...

4. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

but then you have to set the preload isent that really hard to do?

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Your going to have to set the pre-load anyway. It's just a pain to crush the sleeve and you need an inch-lb torque wrench. Other than that, no big deal...

6. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

so you just put it in and when you put the pinion nut back on tq it to spec? Im gonna change my yoke on a 14bolt FF this week I was just gonna count the turns when I take it off but that might not be a good idea... do you know how many INCH pounds a 14bolt needs?

7. 89BlazerK5

well, i just put the pinion in. i used the crush sleve from another axle, that wasn't cushed very far. i torqued it down. and, i used a fish scale on the end of a small breaker bar, and got about 8 inch pounds. i may pay later on for the corners i cut now, but i don't have much money in this 10 bolt. i just put a ton of money into the engine. so, if something breaks in the 10, all the more reason to go up to 1 ton later on. BUT, i feel very confident that it is preloaded just fine. and it will work just fine. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i used a fish scale on the end of a small breaker bar, and got about 8 inch pounds.

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif how did you do that?

9. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

you dont have to set preload when you put a yoke on..just un bolt, pull off, put new one on with antiseize on the splines, threadlock on a NEW nut and torque to 190 ft lbs

10. BadDog

Indexing the nut and replacing is acceptable (according to Chevy service manual - and Twiz) for exactly one redo, like replacing a seal. But you've got to be careful and you still have to set the bearing preload after assembly. I was also told that the yoke tolerances are close enough that indexing (mark the nut, count the threads, and put it back where it was) would work for replacement, but it didn't in my case. About 1/4 turn before the index mark, I hit bottom. Got another 15% or so by going to about 200+ ft/lbs (guestimate, I don’t have anything that measures that high). That got me the preload I needed so I left it there. I will still be pulling it out and putting a new crush sleeve in it when I get some of my other projects done. If I were driving it on the road at all (rather than trailering), I wouldn't have done it this way...

“Normal” torq settings have no bearing what-so-ever on the pinion nut. The only thing important is the bearing preload. You can’t just “torque it to X”. And it has nothing to do with the nut staying tight, lock-tite is not required. The swaged nut handles that on it’s own, which is why you replace it and not reuse it.

11. BadDog

[ QUOTE ]
    you dont have to set preload when you put a yoke on..just un bolt, pull off, put new one on with antiseize on the splines, threadlock on a NEW nut and torque to 190 ft lbs

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sorry, but this is just not true on Corp axles with crush sleeves.

12. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

Crush sleeves for a 10bolt are only about 4 bucks at Autozone/AdvanceAuto/Carquest. And thats for 2. They have them in the "Help!" section with all that other crap. Red labeling. I dont have the part # anymore.

jason

13. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Why did you take it apart in the first place?!?!?

14. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

lol @ confedneck, hehe

the real trick is just beginning to crush the sleeve and stopping there before compeltely crushing it, which requires a new sleeve and not asmuch torque during the next attempt

good luck

15. 89BlazerK5

[ QUOTE ]
    Why did you take it apart in the first place?!?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

i took the 4.56 gears and Auburn posi out of a donar axle that had been sitting for a while, and the carrier and ring gear had collected a fair amount of rust. the pinion berings also had some grit in them, and didn't turn so well. so i cleaned it all up, and put it in my axle.

the gears are all installed. the preload is set. got good backlash, and gear pattern is good. i feel confident that the preload is good.

16. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

AH! I understand now.

17. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

I hope the "small breaker bar" you used was exactly 1" long! Thats how inch-pounds works.. unless you got crafty and calc'd the difference for the length of the bar.

18. 89BlazerK5

the breaker bar was 8" long. i measured just over 1 lb. from that. i know how inch pounds works.... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif