Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pinion Removal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78 k5, Apr 3, 2005.

1. 78 k5

78 k5 1/2 ton status

I'm trying to get the pinion out of my 10bolt (front), the pinion nut/washer are removed but the yoke/pinion won't budge, WTF :confused: I'm letting some PB.Blaster soak over night.....is there any thing else I can do to get the yoke off besides wacking it with a BFH? Am I forgeting something? Any little tricks of the trade to get this thing off? Thanks in advance.

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

ive had some that preaty much fell out once the yoke was off, one that had to be tapped out, and one that had to be beaten senceless to get it out. just make sure to use a punch in the center of the pinion to keep from damaging the treads.

3. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

yep a brass drift and a heavy swing..it'll come off

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

HIT IT!! Either a brass punch and a decent size hammer, or a brass hammer and HIT IT! Dont forget to remove the carrier. You can pull the yoke off with a puller and that will make it easier, but shouldnt be necessary.

5. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

A little heat will work wonders. I had a stuck pinion on my 70 when I tried to regear. I had the axle on jacks in my garage with the pinion pointed up and several hard blows with a 2x4 on the pinion and a BFH, no luck. I sprayed some Kroil in there and let it sit overnite, still nothing. So I got out the propane torch and heated up the bearing for about 30 seconds, until the penetrating oil started boiling out of the space between the bearing and pinion. Then it I got ready to give it the big smack. I gae it a preliminary tap and the pinion fell right out. All you gotta do is heat the bearing a bit.

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

A gear puller will make short work of it without the risk of messing stuff up.

7. 78 k5

78 k5 1/2 ton status

sorry so long since the last post, no internet access.
    I got it out just had to BTF out of it :D