Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pinion seal and bearing.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ryder, Dec 25, 2002.

1. ryder

ryder Registered Member

got a 73 with a 10 bolt up front, which is leaking something fierce. need to know what is involved in replacing the seal and would also like to possibly replace the pinion bearing. The truck has some 350k on her but has been very well maintained. no noise out of the diffs but can't be fresh huh? just want to get her back on the road. can the pinion bearing be replaced without pulling the pinion and ring? Is it accessable by just dropping the drive shaft and going in? I have a couple repair manuals that suck a$$ and do not cover the these precious little items. please help. the longer this takes to get fixed the more I have to drive a dodge, I hope you guys understand.

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Replacing just the pinion seal isn't too hard if you can get the nut off. I would think that replacing the bearing could change the pattern of the gears and that is something I would not mess with unless the bearing is shot. Do you have a 203 transfer case? If you don't then the only time the front axle would turn is when in 4wd...most front axles see very little wear.

To do the pinion seal:
    mark the nut and the pinion shaft so you can line them back up when you are done.
    Remove the nut (counting how meny turns it takes to remove it.
    Replace the seal.
    Put it all back together.

It is removing the nut that can be the hard part. Either use a good impact or a long breaker bar and piece of pipe to remove it after soaking it in PB Blaster (or another good penitrating oil) for a few days.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I agree on just doing the seal if its anything but a 203.

Seals aren't that tough, and from *my* experience, tightening the pinion nut back on tight, (never did mark or count threads) worked fine, and didn't affect anything. My rear yoke kept loosening up on me, so I had to do that a few times.

Don't necessarily recommend tightening the pinion nut up "good enough" instead of counting or marking threads if you can, but it takes a LOT of force to crush the sleeve, so you'd be hard pressed with a 1 foot ratchet/breaker bar to *over*tighten it.

4. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

There are two bearings on the pinion shaft, the inner one can only be replaced by removing the pinion from the housing which requires removing the axles and cage from the housing. the outer one "might" come out with out removing the pinion, but they are usually snug on the pinion shaft and it requires tapping the pinion into the housing to remove the bearing, this can't be done with the cage in place. Why do you want to replace the bearing? If you suspect it's bad, it would be best to tear the rear down and check all the bearings. If you just want to replace it when you do the seal, let it alone, install the new seal. Be sure the yoke seal surface isn't grooved where the seal rides, if it is the new seal won't last long, get a new yoke. Retorque the nut on the pinion and your good to go.