Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pinion seal for 12 bolt with 10 bolt yoke - ASAP!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jcg, Nov 18, 2001.

1. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I blew out my pinion seal today at Uwharrie and I need to get a new one first thing monday morning so I can get back to Charleston. I went through 3 quarts of gear oil just getting back to my friends house in Charlotte. Unfortunately I left my list of "custom" part numbers at home. I know someone out there has the number for the pinion seal for a 10 bolt yoke on a 12 bolt, please let me know ASAP! I just spent the last hour searching the archives for it with no luck.
    Thanks guys!

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts www.mudnuts.org

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Just so you know, it doesn't matter.

I destoryed a perfectly good 12 bolt the same way you're describing. when the pinion bearing failed, the pinion gear locked in the ring gear and my 35s stopped me from 40 mph in about 50 feet. The center part of the differential spun on the tubes and was pointed 270* from where it's supposed to be.

Good luck.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

It does matter. You need to use a 10 bolt pinion seal. I ran into this problem. Lucky I was doing a gear swap in the Jimmy anways and the pinion seal for the front 10 bolt fit in no problems. The 12 bolt didnt fit and seal was too small around the yoke.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

4. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I've had this setup for a year and never had any problems with it. The reason the seal blew today is because I hit the yoke on a rock and the dust shield caved in and caught the seal.

Joe

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Mine lasted 4 months too. Just a matter of time I guess. It doesn't matter...because that yoke isn't supposed to be on there.

Tim

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Mine lasted 4 months too. Just a matter of time I guess. It doesn't matter...because that yoke isn't supposed to be on there.

Tim

7. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I seem to remember that the 10 bolt seal I got back when I did the swap didn't fit quite right in the housing, it was a little loose. The guys at my local 4x shop gave me a different one to use but I don't remember the difference between the two. I guess I could get a regular 10 bolt seal and "glue" it in with RTV just to get me home. Once I get back to Charleston I'll have more time to get it fixed.

Joe