Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pinion seal leak

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Anteak, Apr 26, 2002.

1. Anteak

Anteak 1/2 ton status

From what I read from other posts, I should be able to replace the seal myself. Scribe a mark for location of nut prior to removal. Tighten nut to scribe mark after replacing seal.
    Question. On another post about gear replacement there was talk of a crush sleeve. Is the crush sleeve affected when the pinion nut is re-installed? If so, should this be replaced also? And how?

73 Blazer
    SoCalBigDawgs

2. Quack_Addict

Quack_Addict 1/2 ton status

Nope, the crush sleeve doesn't need to be replaced if you are only replacing the pinion seal. Do like you said to R&R the seal and then tighten the nut back up to the scribed line, or even a hair past.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

What differential are you talking about, 10 bolt, 12 bolt, 14 bolt, D44, D60 ? When there is a crush sleeve involved you are always supposed to use a new one, you will probably get away with using your old one, but a new one should be used. If you are working on a D44 they do not use a crush sleeve.

4. Yea I have been lazy, I need to replace the pinion seal on my 14BFF It's been leaking for a couple months now haha. Do you self a favor and get a Haynes manual if you dont have one it will tell you everything you need to know in there. Later 80K20 and good luck

5. Anteak

Anteak 1/2 ton status

D44 Front, 12 Bolt Rear.
    The front is leaking really bad and will get changed first. The 12 bolt can wait.

Thanks

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Changing the front pinion seal is a breeze. Simply remove the yoke and pry the seal out, then reinstall new seal and tighten the yoke back on and you're done. D44's don't use crush sleeves so you have nothing to worry about. The 12 bolt is a different story all together. The 12 bolt does use a crush sleeve and will take some doing to change the seal and get the pinion set back correctly.