Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pinion seal on 14ff

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by surpip, Aug 18, 2004.

1. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

how hard is it to replace?
    mine leaks a little bit, but i would still like to replace it if it isent to hard

2. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Not too bad if you have an impact. I would also have a spring bar-type in/lb torque wrench on hand also to set pinion preload back to used gear specs. I've herd of people counting threads or going by feel, but I wouldn't do that.

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

anny problems i might encounter? thanks for the help,
    dale /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

There is always the unforeseen, but i can't think of anything else right off hand. Just make sure that when you reset your pinioin preload that you DO NOT exceed the torque spec. If you do you will have over crushed your crush coller and then you'll need to put another one on there. Not too big of a deal; you just don't want to have to go through the trouble of installing a new one.

Also, when doing this, go ahead a pull the pinion support off the housing and check the pinion preload before pulling it apart. You may want to use that number on re-assembly (if it has a preload still).