Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pinion seal replacement tips? quick help appreciated

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, May 20, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

About to replace my rear u joint and pinion seal wondering if there are any quick tips for replacing pinion seal? I have been told removal is the hardest part so any tips there?

2. mrhoes

mrhoes 1/2 ton status

i did mine last week just pry the seal out with a screwdriver and tap the new one in

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

The nut can be hard to get off, but after that pop the old seal out. I think getting the new seal in is the hardest part. Get a new pinion nut and don't overtourqe it (you'll mess up the crush sleeve and pinion bearing preload) use some red locktite. I'm sure somebody else will offer up some info too, or do a search I know it has been done before in here. Hope I helped.

-brian

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

it was very easy. Nut was easy as well... All I ddi was hit the side of the seal with a hammer and screw drive and crushed it inward making the circumference smaller. Puting the new one in was easy. New nut and loctite and I was done.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Did you grease the seal before you installed it? I didn't, replaced it yet again 2 weeks later.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

no I didn't but I am looking at rebuilding my rear since it seems my pinion bearings are shot. When I took off the yoke the pinion slid side to side like 1/4" each way really easily. And replacing a u joint didn't fix my vibration problem.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Pinion *will* move around, since the yoke is what keeps the pinion bearing tight up against the case in a 10 bolt IIRC.

8. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Pinion seal replacement, yoke replacement, pinion flange, oil seal, <====for the archieves.

All G.M. axles equipped with a crush sleeves.
    10-bolt (8.5/6) 12-bolt (8.875) 14-bolt SF (9.5) 14-bolt FF (10.5) 14-bolt FF (11.5)

Dana axles or those useing shims to set pinion bearing preload, differ slightly. (The pinion nut is torqued to 273 ft/lbs)

1 - Mark the drive line in relation to the yoke. Some are a balanced set (ours are not).

2- Mark the pinion nut in relation to the pinion stem, use something that will not rub off or wash off. The yoke should also be marked, aswell.

3- Spin the pinion and gear set by hand, take note of any binding, ruff spots, over-all feel and torque required to rotate the assembly.
    *By-the-Book* - The torque required to rotate the pinion and gears should (by-the-book) be measured at this time. Remove anything that will add additional drag to the measurement. Wheels, Tires, Brake Drums, Axle shafts should be remever on Full-Floaters. Useing a "bar-style" inch-pound torque wrench, rotate the pinion with a steady, constant motion. Recored the the amount of torque required. (typlical reading 25-45 in/lbs)

4 - Remove the pinion nut, it's a "pinch" style nut, so it will be tight and may require some creative wrenching in order to remove it.

5 - Use a gear puller, or steering wheel removal tool to remove the yoke. Do Not "tap" it off from the back, as this action may damage the pinion bearings.

6 - Remove the seal useing a seal removal tool, it might be helpfull to lightly crush the seal inward, from the back and forward being carefull not to damage the diff houseing or scuff the seal race. Be prepared to catch any gear oil that may leak out after the seal is removed.

7 - Inspect the yoke for grooves worn into it by the seal. Replace the yoke if worn. Inspect the diff houseing seal race for burrs, remove burrs as needed and clean.

8 - Apply grease to the seal lips, also pack the back of the seal with grease inorder to hold the tensioner spring inplce during installation.

9 - Install the seal, some auto parts stores might have the correct seal installer. If one is not avalible, use a wide, flat metal bar, or the edge of a pry-bar to lightly tap the seal inplace. Use care, so as not to distort the seal. Insure the seal is flush with the diff houseing.

10 - Apply a sealer, tefflon past or the like, to the splines on the yoke. Install the yoke, lineing up the marks.

11 - Install the washer and nut. Tighten the nut, take note of the marks as you tighten. Keep tightening the nut until the marks are in-line.
    I use a 1/2" impact gun to run the nut down, while keeping my eye on the socket. When the socket stops, or slows down significantly, I get off the trigger and check my marks. In allmost every case, the nut will need another 1/8th of a turn to line the marks up perfectly.
    Note - Allthough the crush sleave is difficult to over-tighen, it an be done (but it's not easy).
    Note - The crush sleave can be re-torqued twice, as long as it is not over torqued and crushed further than it was originaly.
    *By-The-Book* - IF the pinion nut or yoke are changed, than the rotateing torque will be the only guide to reassembly. Tighten the nut untill the old rotateing torque specs are met. Continue tightening the nut to achive an additinal 3 in/lbs greater than the measurements taken before diassambly.

12 - Top off the fluid, and recheck the over-all feel of the Ring and pinion by hand as you did before, as-well as insureing the bearings are seated correctly.

That should do it,

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

hmm my pinion nut was easy as was removing the yoke. Issue?

10. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

im just nevrious about retorqueing it, i have a 10 bolt yoke i wanna put on my 12 bolt, but im nevrious about retoqureing the nut, yes i am scared of messing it up royally. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

11. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

when my 10 bolt exploded the pinoin nut could be loosed by hand. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

12. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

When you pull off the yoke the pinion should NOT move around because the outer pinion bearing is pushed on the pinion and shouldn't slide off when you take the yoke off.

13. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Up-dated slightly.

14. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Very nice Eric... this is the first I've seen it! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

15. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

LOL
    nice. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif