Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pinion seal woun't go in as far as old one!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by weisel, Jun 8, 2002.

1. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

Pinion seal woun\'t go in as far as old one!

Ok, I noticed the rear diff leaking oil from the pinion seal. I go to get the seal. I bring the old one in and get one. They look exactly the same to me.
    So I go to pound it in and the dang thing still sticks out 3/16". A good amount of the seal is in the housing so I put the yoke on and am driving it, but I can't wheel because the seal was sticking out too far to put the dust cover on.
    I pulled the seal out and measured from the outside of the housing to the shoulder inside of the bore and measured how far the seal is going into the housing, and it seams like thats as far as it will go.
    What is going on? The original seal was completly in when I pulled it out. I think I might go get a shorter seal and put that in, but I would like to know if any of you have had similar problems?

2. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Re: Pinion seal woun\'t go in as far as old one!

I had the same problem with my 12 bolt. I thought that it was not the proper seal (but it had the same CR#), so I took out a block of 2x4 and layed it across the seal and pounded on it with a hammer and it went all the way in /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif. Or have you already tried this?

3. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

Re: Pinion seal woun\'t go in as far as old one!

Yes I have. Not a block of wood though, it was a chunk of steel with a hole in it for the shaft to stick through. Seems that it is bottomed out on the little shoulder inside the bore.