Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pinion seal?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChevBlazin, Mar 25, 2002.

1. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

Can I replace the rear pinion seal on a 12 bolt with out taking the pinion gear out? I'm asking because I'm not having much luck finding the u-joint to hook the 79 12 bolt yoke to my 86 drive shaft. I am thinking of just using my 10 bolt yoke on the 12 bolt. The yoke on the 12 bolt seems just a tad smaller than the 10 bolt, but I cant really tell, the u-joint for the 10 bolt seems to pretty much fit it. Is it possible that they are the same size and I dont even need to do this? Any help??

2. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

You can replace the seal very easily. Just count the threads visible past the nut, and when you reinstall it, just tighten it back to the same place plus a 1/8 turn. But, the 10 bolt yoke wont work on the 12 bolt. I tried the same thing, and it slides on, but its a bit different size. The splines are the same, but the shaft itself is different. What you need is the "trick u-joint". There are part numbers floating around in posts on here. Just do a search for 'trick joint' or variations and you will find it. Its a special joint with one set of caps fitting the old yoke, and the other set is fitting the new yoke.

Mike

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

4. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Replacing the seal in this fashion is dangerous IMO. I've seen several rear ends become garbage after this kind of backyard seal replacement.

Pinion nuts are one time use, period. If you reuse them, its very likely they will back off and destroy everything in the diff.

The right way to replace a seal on a crush sleeve type diff (10/12/14 bolt and tons more) is to disassemble the diff, replace the crush sleeve and reset the pinion bearing preload.

At the very least, the pinion nut needs to be replaced (which still requires removal of the carrier and a torque wrench that reads in. lbs.).

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  6. throttleissues

throttleissues 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Pssst! Hey, Dorian, that link has info about the wiper/washer, I don't think the torque values are the same as the pinion.:D

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Hey, it's close enough! Not sure why that happened, but will be fixed shortly. Thanks.