Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pinion Shaft Removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sinful_Nature, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Sinful_Nature

Sinful_Nature Registered Member

I'm attempting to replace the axle seals on a 10-Bolt Rear-end. I removed the Diff Cover and Pinion Shaft Locking Screw, but I can't get the pin itself out. I have tried tapping it slightly on both ends but nothing. I thought once you removed the screw it should just slide out?

Any ideas? If you couldn't tell this is my first axle removal.

Thanks!

~ Russ

2. Sinful_Nature

OK... I figured what's going on.... it appears the half the locking pin screw is still in there. So I must get it out, thinking of a left hand drill and pulling it out like that? Any other ideas?

Thanks!

~ Russ

3. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Ugh.....Thats gonna be a bitch to get outta there. Is it loose enuff that you can get in there and turn it out with a small screwdriver? I don't know if they make e-z outs that small, but that might be another option to look into.....Good luck. Let us know what happens. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah you are going to have to be careful of course. Make sure the pinion shaft isn't putting a "load" on the remaining bit of that bolt, and that the remaining piece can slide out.

I just had an axle partially apart the other day, the ONLY threaded section of that bolt was at the head...the part that is already out in your case...the other end was not threaded FWIW, so you just need to figure out how to drag it out, or get a bit long enough to reach in there and just drill it completely out.

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

umm, i used a brass drift and hammer, didtn work. tried drilling on down through the pin then the brass drift and a hammer, didnt work. but then my buddy gave up so i quit to. its his axle.
    ill let you know how it goes when we finish getting it out.
    grant

6. Sinful_Nature

I tried the small screwdriver trick, it wouldn't budge. So the bolt it self has not threads where it enters the Pin? This would mean that my idea of using a left handed drill bit won't work. Guess I'll have to look for a an easy out that small.

Although this sucks, I'm happy I found it (broken Screw), while in my driveway! Wouldn't want to find myself on the trail with a broken axle and no way remove it!

~ Russ

7. dyeager535

Was picking up a free 12 bolt rear yesterday, and the guy wanted the one good axle before he gave it to me. Sure enough, the pin was sheared off. Since the housing is kinda trashed, and 12 bolt carriers are common, I told him to try and shear the bolt off. It worked.

Now don't think I'd try this on one of mine unless last resort, but it *did* work. I tried this on a 7.5" axle, and the pinion shaft started to crack. I didn't have a big drift like this guy did though. The one he used was the same size as the pinion shaft.

Like I said, I guess it would be last resort. I've got that stuck bolt carrier in my garage, I can check and see if the sheared off end is in there real tight, or is pretty loose if you like. Not really going to help you, but if the sheared off portion is pretty free, if you lined the pinion shaft up, and could get a magnet or something in there, you might be able to retrieve it.

One other thing I did on a "junk" carrier was cut the carrier on the sheared off side, right next to the pinion shaft, all the way through that pin. I personally don't think it will hurt strength much, but then again, these truck 10bolts are typically at the ragged edge of living in a truck anyways, and that would be another possible failure point. Never did try running that carrier, but really, cutting right next the shaft *shouldn't* really weaken things that I can see.

8. Sinful_Nature

Wow some great info. Thanks!

To be honest I believe there are some threads still left on the remaining piece of screw. It looks like who ever owned the rig before me decided to go a little over board with the torque. From what I can tell there is about 1 full thread and 2 "half" threads left, although I am not sure of the total length of the screw.

It is good to know that as a final option, a BFH and drift may do the trick, maybe perform some precision drilling before may help.

Due to Club meetings I'll have to wait to until Thruday evening to continue this adventure. I'll let ya know how I made out.

Thanks again!

~ Russ

9. dyeager535

Russ, good luck and good point...drilling into that pin *will* help if you have to try and shear it off. Pretty small, but if you can get a bit in there, it can't hurt! That pinion shaft is exceedingly hard, ask anyone thats tried drilling through one. So cutting the carrier right next to it is very simple lol.