Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pinion shims

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bhintz, May 14, 2003.

1. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

do these things work for correcting pinion angle?

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

yes they do /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

dumb question but do they install between springs and lift blocks or between lift block and sring prech(which Im guessing they do).

4. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

if you're running with blocks, then either get new blocks that have the correct angle or get yours ground down to the correct angle. i'm pretty sure it's not a good idea to put shims in with blocks. somebody will correct me if i'm wrong.

5. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

what will happen if I use them w/ blocks. cause I got a nice little vibation in the driveshaft that I need to get rid of its driving me nuts.

6. angrysnowplow

angrysnowplow 1/2 ton status

How about putting them between a flipped overload spring and the rest of the pack? Anyone tried this? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    How about putting them between a flipped overload spring and the rest of the pack? Anyone tried this? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> What's the point? Is there something wrong with the normal way of doing it? the best way is between the pack and the perch. </font>

8. angrysnowplow

I have blocks right now, was looking for a safer way to do it rather than having about 1/16" of the spring pin in the hole in the perch.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> The pin will come out of the pack and the shim then gets bolted back into the pack. So you should still have full engagement. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

10. angrysnowplow

Hmmm, mine must be different or sumthin'. They're Rancho shims, and the hole in them is way bigger than the spring pin is. That's why I was getting pretty creative trying to find a home for them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    If all else fails, I'll have my buddy weld on something to make the pin in the block a little longer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Thanks for replying /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

DON'T RUN SHIMS. Especially in front. They will mess up your steering, and they FALL OUT. Believe me, I used to run them. They brake center pins, strip U-bolts, etc. If you run them, weld them onto the perch, so that they act like a new perch. And if you do it in front, then rotate all the steering components or something, you'll need help w/ them.

12. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Actually it depends. I had some procomp shims under my blocks, they sucked. They got all smashed out around the edges, they cracked, they were horrible. Then I changed them, now I have some rancho ones and havent had any problems. I dont get why one was bad and the other not, seems like they are make out of the same stuff just differrent names and prices. In my opinion, shims wont hurt anything, just get wide enough ones, so they wont mushroom out.