Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pinion Woes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, Mar 14, 2006.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I think I am having bad issues with my pinion and vibrations. The Tcase is down 6 Deg and the Pinion is 16 Deg. I can also see that my upper Ujoint is binding. The front CV is also close to binding so I really do not want to drop the Tcase. Question is what is the max rotation you can put on a 14FF and maintain pinion oiling. I am thinking that I can rotate the pinion up to minimize both angles and help out with vibrations.
    I talked to Stephen at ORD and I do not have the money for a CV shaft and I have to drive cross country in 3 weeks so cutting and rotating perches is NA.

Is it unsafe to drive with the pinion rotated up?

Let me know your opinions.

Ira

2. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Many folks turn the pinion straight up , or in-line , with the driveshaft and have good results with pinion bearing life.
    Just a note of caution - even if you turn you P/A up the bad harmonics from the joints being out of phase is going to kill the transfercase bearings and the pinion bearings along with what ever else is suffering from the bad vib's.
    A trip, at speed, for that durration is going to be brutal !
    If you must take the truck on this trip try and find a speed that minimizes the vibration to keep things in check as much as possible. The wear and tear from bad drive shaft harmonic's is more destructive than most think - just keep that in mind when you make your final decision on what to do .

HTH's Tom

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I am trying to calculate how far up I need to go to make the ujoints operate at the same angle. I feel I only need to go up maybe 4 or 6 deg that would put my pinion at 22 deg and would be the same as dropping the pinion. Is that too much of an up angle to allow for pinion oiling on a street driven vehicle?

Ira

4. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I would say so and remember that it will raise even further when under load/excelleration. I am not saying that the bearings would not get some oil due to the slinging effect but I do not think it would get enough oil for propper cooling at sustained speeds.
    I hope this works out for Ya' . Sometimes you got to do what it takes to get by for a while.

Tom

5. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hey Chief what kind of vibes do you get? I have sorta the same issue with mine. What I have found is I get far less vibes when the joints are packed with fresh grease. When I PCS'd from Fallon to here I carried my grease gun with me. When I stopped to get gas, or the vibes got bad I would stop and shoot some grease in there. I know it's a PITA, but it does seem to help. It only take a minute with a needle tip. Just a temp solution. What route are you taking across? Start collecting some phone #'s of guys along the way just in case you have any issues.:wink1:

6. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The vibes are mainly when coasting. If I am under power or accelerating it really is not noticable but when I let off of the gas I get hard vibrations until I get back on the gas. I am really confused as to what it is.

Ira

7. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

That sounds exactly like u-joints to me. U-joints tend to vibrate/growl the worst when you let off the gas.

8. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I know it is a ujoint vibe Are you saying that the joints are bad? I did not replace the upper joint when I had it out as they did not vibrate at all before the lift.

Ira

9. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

IMO If you are doing any changes, replace the ujoints. I have a bunch of low use ones for trail spares.

10. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I guess I will pick up a new Ujoint.

Ira

11. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Want to change it out tonight? I can bring "The Motivator" and a few large sockets. Oh, and a few large "Beers"

I will also bring my angle finder. We can use it, along with yours to verify the pinion angle chnages that you need.

12. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

I had a similar experience after installing my lift. I had vibrations during decelleration, but none cruising. New ujoints on rear driveshaft cured the vibes. I think the original ujoints had a wear pattern in them and the lift caused them to roll in and out of the worn spots resulting in a vibration. Looking at the old one with a magnifing glass showed tiny grooves where the needle bearings rode. New ujoints are a good idea anyway.

13. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Sure I will pic one up on the way home. I am going to Ham Radio Outlet in Kearny Mesa to look over their stock of cable and antennas to see if they have what I am looking for for my CB:D . What time you gonna be over?

Ira