Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pinion yoke has major play in it- nice humming sound coming from rear end

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by COCHEV, Aug 19, 2004.

1. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

Lovely 10 bolts. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif this is on my wife's 97 tahoe. just got done doing the rear axle seals and bearings cause they were shot and leaking all over the brakes. go drive it around and notice a nice hum/ vibration from the rear end. i don't drive it much cause its the wife's rig, so who knows how long its been making that sound /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif. anyway, go to check all the u joins and find that the pinion on the rear axle has like almost a 1/4 inch of play in it. check the pinion nut and it is tight. so today it goes back to the dealership cause we baught a powertrain warrenty with it. should be covered. maybe i can convince them to just but a SF 14 bolt in there /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif yeah right. don't you love fixing one thing only to find something else wrong /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Did the pinion move in and out? Sounds like you lost the pinion preload. If it just happenned, you might be ok with just a rebearing, but sounds like you'll need a whole new R&P. Since there in there, might as well just have em replace the gov loc with an Eaton, then you wont have to worry about it again! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

it moved up and down. i tryed to see if i could tighten the pinion nut up but it didn't seem to want to turn. i didn't really yard on it though. i took it to the dealer cause its still under warrenty. they did say that it was loose though and "tightened it to spec" which i have in writing. seemed fine for few days, but yesterday, i noticed some noise coming from the rear again /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif sh!t like that only gets worse, it will end up back at the shop. i'm sure they just didn't want to deal with it. but they are going too. i hate shops.

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Yeah, they screwed up, /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif shoulda just fixed it right the first time! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

If its under warrenty, why did you do the axle seals? WErent those covereD?

[ QUOTE ]
    Lovely 10 bolts. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif this is on my wife's 97 tahoe. just got done doing the rear axle seals and bearings cause they were shot and leaking all over the brakes. go drive it around and notice a nice hum/ vibration from the rear end. i don't drive it much cause its the wife's rig, so who knows how long its been making that sound /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif. anyway, go to check all the u joins and find that the pinion on the rear axle has like almost a 1/4 inch of play in it. check the pinion nut and it is tight. so today it goes back to the dealership cause we baught a powertrain warrenty with it. should be covered. maybe i can convince them to just but a SF 14 bolt in there /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif yeah right. don't you love fixing one thing only to find something else wrong /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[/ QUOTE ]