Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pinion Yoke

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BowtieRed, Feb 22, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

Ok, I went and got my driveshaft shortened for my new 14ff, and then sheared off some bolts in the yoke. At the time I was unaware that the holes in the yoke go all the way through, because there was soo much crap stuck in the holes. I went and drilled the other two hole out, and the crap was stuck so hard that the drill actually got caught a couple times and spun the bit off. anyway, it turns out the bolts are too small and when the crap is out will slide right through the holes. i am in the process of attempting to hammer out the bolts and get new ones. I think the threads are screwed up, so would it be ok to get some grade 8 bolts and nuts and have the bolts go all the way through and cap them off with nuts? also can i take the yoke off, with the rearend on the truck, without screwing u the backlash and anything else in the ring an pinion? thanks, i'd like to do this today, so any quick advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks

2. BowtieRed

3. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Yes , You can take the yoke off with the rear end still in the truck. Just becareful not to add any crush to the spacer ( crush sleeve ) when you re-install the yoke. If you go to far you will create to much load on the pinion bearings and they will fail.
    As for the bolt replacement , that is your call - You might want to go to a junk yard and pick up a used one, there are MILLIONS of 14 bolts out there.
    Good luck , Tom

4. BowtieRed

holy crap!! how big is that nut? i have to go get a new socket now, is it 1 3/8 or 1 1/2 i need to know soon please, the hardware store closes in an hour i think

5. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

6. BowtieRed

thank you, ya'll are so much help, this is by far the best 4x4 site