Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pinks All Out

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sandawgk5, Feb 21, 2007.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Normally I am suspect of this show but the all out show I just watched (or currently am watching) is pretty ****ing sweet. All ~10 Sec cars no negotiation straight heads up.

They start with 32 and widdle it down to 1 if the drivers want they can place money on the side:D . If you jump, break or are last down the track you are out no ifs ands or buts:D .

The last 8 cars have been with in .005 sec of each other:D .

That is all

Ira

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

If you run faster than a 9.900 or if they hear you peddle you are out also. It takes a lot of the drama out of the show but I like to see iron just running down the 1/4 mile:D .

Ira

3. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Peddle?

4. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

get in and out of the gas...

5. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Ah, to make sure you don't go under 9.9, right?

6. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

or to play like you are slow to keep things even (when they run best of 3 or best of 5 sets) then at the end go balls out and smoke the other guy...

But yeah...in this case it would be to stay in the legal time bracket.

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Why can't they run faster than 9.9?

8. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Because they wanted 10 second cars, and otherwise nothing would prevent you from bringing a top fuel funny car to the show and going home with 32 vehicles.

9. cbbr

I guess that I asked that wrong. Why not just put rules in place - no NOS, fuel restrictions, etc and let them run.

10. mikey_d05

I don't get it...they did. Going faster than 9.90 on the show was like breaking out in a bracket race. You lose.

11. cbbr

I really don't know much about drag racing at all. i thought that you could go as fast as possible as long as your vehicle met the qualifications. I didn't realize that there was a "too fast".

12. mikey_d05

At the less than professional levels of drag racing you pick a time that's a few thousandths or so faster than your car is capable of running. This time in comparison to the other guy's determines who gets to leave the line first and how long before the other guy does. If you go faster than the time you picked, you lose, because otherwise you could claim your car takes 13 seconds to hustle down the track when it can really do it in 10.

Did that make sence?

13. scotto0609

scotto0609 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What I want to know is on the regular show all they ask for is lengths. Nobody asks for the "leave",that to me would be at least a couple car lengths and more fun to watch! Leave= One racer cannot leave until he sees the other racer move(leave).

14. cbbr

Perfect. Now I see what you are saying. I was lost there for a minute.

15. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

On this show no cars changed hands but each race win was $1000 and the overall winner got $10000. A girl and a 60s ford pickup took it all.

They had one guy break out he was running close to the limit all day and when the sun went down he ran a 9.79:eek1: .

Another reason they were not allowed to run faster than 9.9 is that none of the drivers had NHRA licenses to run any faster.

The lengths VS leave thing would not work on the normal pinks show as the cars are generally not that close. The lengths thing is just like bracket racing but rather than the lights operating at different times to give the other guy a head start they stagger the starting lines.

I prefered Pinks All Out as there was no negotiation, you break out of 9.9 you go home, you break you go home, you leave early you go home, if you lift for any reason other than saving the car from damage you go home. It is pretty much bare bones heads up.

They were told to bring 10 Second cars and that is how they keep them honest. It was rather pure for a change.

Ira

16. mikey_d05

I'll give you that one, the yelling and screaming and name calling gets old. Although if the one comes on with two brothers, one in an late 60's firebird and the other in a last generation Camaro, be sure to watch it. No bull****, fast cars, genuine sportsmanship.

17. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Ya that was a good one:D. Both of those cars were fast as ****.

Last night they had one on with a 68? Camaro from Canada and a Monte it looked like. The 3 of the first 4 races were within in 4 ft of each other at the finish line. The monte was driving around the Camaro all day. It was injected and they let them datalog each run and they were adjusting between rounds.

The Camaro from Canada one because something broke in the other car and it nosed over about 1/2 track.

Ira

18. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

that is why the winner of the phoenix pinks all out was a super gas car that is on a throttle stop. Only reason i know is a few of the people that made it to the top 12 were part of a nova club i am part of.

19. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

The 9.90 rule was probably put in place for several reasons. Go faster than 11.5 in a full-bodied vehicle with a stock firewall and you need a roll bar. Faster than 10.0 requires a full cage and much more extensive list of safety equipment, and must be inspected every two years. Plus a License. The difference between the two is the break between building a budget, factory appearing car, and building a race-only rig that costs thousands more.

For most, 10 flat is really the dividing point between somewhat streetable and pure race car. Pump gas or race gas. That is not to say, however, that you cannot build a much faster car that is still streetable (particularly with power adders), but it is going to cost some money.

That being said, I'd much rather watch All Out then regular Pinks.