Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pioneer 12" thin sub

Discussion in 'Audio' started by trailblazr81, Oct 19, 2005.

1. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I kinda like it , even the box they sell . I just bought my own stuff , but would of thought about that if i hadn't .

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Pioneer makes great headunits, but they really aren't known for thier subs. I'd have too hear one before I could say yae or nay.

4. cfurtick

cfurtick Registered Member

I can tell you from experience these subs sound good. We sell them and generally put them in about .74 cubic foot box and they put out. It is true that pioneer is known for headunits not speakers but the premier subs sound good. We dont sell any of the pioneer coaxes etc. because they aren't that great but these subs do sound good.

hope this helps
    Chris

5. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

I plan to put one in a box I'll be making. Do they require alot of power to sound good? With the 4 channel amp I run now, I can bridge it to give the Sub 80 watts RMS. Im not trying to win any sound competitions. Just to help out the speakers in my doors. I found a refurbished Sony amp that would put out about 100-125 watts RMS. Ive run some other 12" subs off of 75 watts RMS and sounded great, but not sure with these.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

In the trunk of the Alero is a MMATS D200hc powering a single 12" DVC Kicker L7 wired at 1 ohm in a large slot port box. [​IMG] Sounds pretty good for just one subwoofer. I plan on upgrading to two 12" TREO Engineering SSI 12.44's in the future.

7. cfurtick

cfurtick Registered Member

I would put no less than 125-150 rms to this sub. The smaller the box you put a sub in the more power it takes to push. this sub is no exception to the rule. pm me when you get to ready to purchase and i may be able to help you out.

Chris

8. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

I would go with an array of smaller subs (like two or four 8's) before Id sacrifice cone excursion just to use a 12" sub. Those thin subs are nice for fitting in tight places, but the thin design comes with its a drawback, less cone excursion. Over all speaker displacement relies on two things, cone area and cone displacement (how big it is and how far it moves in and out). A thin sub like those Pioneers simply dont have the motor length capable to accomodate the longer displacement numbers other more conventional drivers are putting out.

At $56 each (shipped), Id be buying Resonant Engineering RE8's to create an array if I was building a regular cab stereo system. Just some food for thought.

www.reaudio.com