Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pioneer 4100 headunit....blown amp ?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by ColAdo82K5, Aug 5, 2003.

1. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Hey,
    I think i had some of my speaker wire rub againist body metal. This shutdown my headunit from making any noise I think. It turns on and off and goes through all of the functions...but just won't kick out a lick of music. Is the amp in this headunit blown or what ? Thanks for the help.
    Blake

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Blake,

A speaker short has got to be a pretty common failure mode for decks to deal with..... I doubt it would burn up, maybe it's just in "protection mode"???

Try turning the system completely off, and back on.
    Maybe pull the fuse to be really sure the deck can reset itself....

I suppose there's a chance that theres a fuse internally inside the deck, but they are typically "non-serviceable" so I'd be surprised if they'd design it that way....

There should be a way to reset it....somehow /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Greg,
    What if there was some place else that the body was hitting the speaker wire ? I ran all of the wire myself but it has been awhile...maybe it found a good rub spot ? A friend said that with most of these headunits...if there is a short in any of the channels...the amp will not produce or not seem like it produces wattage..Is this true ?
    Blake

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Well that's TRUE.....if you STILL have a short, it won't play at all! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Simple test:

Disconnect ALL the speaker wires from the back of the head unit. Connect a small piece of scrap wire to a loose speaker and see if it plays. If it does, you've still got a short somewhere.....

Use an ohmmeter to check the other wiring. Most should respond with around 4 to 8 ohms of resistance, the one that's shorted will be close to ZERO ohms. THAT will be your culprit.....

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

i've blown the internal amp in one before, so it is a possiblity. as gregg said you can try to reset the unit, and hope it has internal protection. Disconnect at the battery for 5 min should do it. check to make sure your speaker isn't grounded. there are a couple of solution to this problem.... external amp or new head unit...