Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pioneer DFS Equipped HU question...

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 73k5blazer, Jul 7, 2006.

1. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I have a DEH_P77DH. Great HU BTW, tons of features. Anyway, it has the pioneer DFS alarm built into it. I'd like to use it. It wires into door pins and has output to relays for horn and starter lockout if the unit isn't disarmed . Anyhow, does anybody have any familarity with the DFS system, because after the manual tells you how to install the starter lockout relay, the next page says:
    "Avoiding trouble. You may not be able to start the engine even if you operate the unit correctly" and continues to recommend a starter lockout switch/relay bypass.Which, pardon my words, seems really stupid. Anybody have a clue why they would recommend that? Is there a problem with the DFS, or are they just trying to catch people who may not have wired it properly, or they just want to avoid a raging phone call from some guy on the side of the road who can't start his car?

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

In all honesty, if you want a alarm, get a real alarm. I like the Viper alarms by DEI. Get a alarm with remote start and keyless entry.

3. chosen(1)

chosen(1) 1/2 ton status

I agree with this wholeheartedly. In my opinion Pioneer head units have always been over-featured and under-performing, with that in mind I would not want a Pioneer HU controlling my starter circuit.

4. 73k5blazer

I didn't really want an alarm, but since this had it in it I thought I might try and use it. Zero desire for remote start or keyless entry, didn't install power locks anyway, and I think it's a bad idea to put remote start on a manual tranny.
    I've always loved the pioneer HU's, this one is especially great. Audio wise it performs extremley well, very nice features for picking sub&main speaker cut-off frequencies, aux inputs for sat/mp3/cd changer and lots of other adjustments that make listening to different types of musici enjoyable. IMHO Ithink pioneer has the best performers, alot of the others seem to have the bling-bling display (which I also didn't want) but didn't perform and didn't have the features I wanted. Just MHO.
    Anyhow I was just wondering why they would recommend a bypass for the starter lockout.

5. 73k5blazer

In case abobody comes looking. I finally got around to getting an answer from Pioneer on this. I first emailed them. They told me to call. I called, and after I got transfered from the first chinese guy that answerd the phone, finally got somebody who at least sounded like they knew what they were talking about.

Anyhow, he said it was basically there just to cover people who miswire the thing. There is no problem with the DFS itself and will never be a situation where the DFS won't release the trigger if it's disarmed properly and the unit is wired properly.

WHich is what I thought. Then I asked him, so how many people call from the side of the road or a parking lot wondering why they can't start their car. He said "Way too many, and in the cases where they can get down to why, it has always been a mis-wire on the installers part". :haha:

6. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Not only is it a bad idea, you cannot wire remote start to a manual tranny vehicle.

Glad you got your question answered. :)