Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pioneer head unit wont put out sound except through amp

Discussion in 'Audio' started by mudhog, Apr 8, 2004.

1. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i have a pioneer head unit am/FM CD player it is detachable face. it just suddenly stopped playing sound out of the head unit but it will play through the amp (RCA jacks) its not the speakers cause i hooked the amp up to the 6x9's and they work just wont work off the deck. anyone have any ideas as to whats wrong?

2. mudhog

oh and i forgot to say once in a while it will come on for like a second then wont work again /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif and yes i have used rubbing alcohol and cleaned the faceplate connectors. and yes i have checked the ground wire and even moved it to a new ground several times lol

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

The last step is to run a new wire between the deck and the speaker to see if it works or not.

There could potentially be a short in the existing wire that is causing the internal amp to shut down.... you don't need to run it through the door panels, or side panels....just wire up something temporary to test with.

Your troubleshooting steps indicate that the speaker itself is OK, so now you need to "prove" to yourself that it's not the speaker wire in between...... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. mudhog

would one bad or grounded wire shut all 4 speakers down but still let the amp work?

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Some headunits have a setting that you can turn on or off it's inturnal amp. You might want to check that it hasn't gotten turned off by mistake.

6. mudhog

this one dont have that

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

The internal amp is a different beast from the RCA outputs....

If you've got a short in the speaker wire, it's possible that things will still play correctly out the RCAs.

Disconnect all the existing speaker wires off the deck...and then re-attach one speaker at a time with a NEW piece of wire (even if it's just a loose speaker and loose wire). You want to be able to validate that the amp is having a problem even with "known good" wiring.

If everything behaves correctly during that experiment, you've got an electrical short somewhere in the trucks speaker wiring....

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Sounds to me like the internal amp took a crap, yes you will get sound out the RCA's because that part only sends out a passive signal which the amp then amplifies it for the speaks. There are some head units that have so many features that they build them without internal amps and an external amp is required.

If it's that big a deal, have it serviced, if not, run the amp.

9. mudhog

ok i have found out it is something internal /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif every time it goes out if i pull it out and squeeze the back on top and bottom it will start working again for a while /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

10. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Open it up! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    You'll probably find that the connectors in question will have a broken solder joint at the PC board. It's caused by normal wear and tear of connecting and disconnecting the plugs. You either need to resolder the joints or solder a jumper wire in place of the open.