Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pipe Dream?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Buzz, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Buzz

Buzz Registered Member

My tranny crapped out again. I am looking to either swap a manual into it (don't have a clue as to what) or just saying, "the hell with it" and getting something else. I want better/good gas mileage and the ability to travel at highway speeds with ease. I like the better fuel economy and reliability that diesels have but I'm not sure if a diesel swap is feasable. I am leaning towards a manual tranny for more control and most of all RELIABILITY. I drive a failry long way to go to school so I need to get some speed up and my 89 350 w/auto doesn't seem to cut it. I have always like the reliability of landcruisers and disco's along with the good mpg but haven't really ever looked into it. I can't even believe I'm thinking of getting rid of my first love but something's gotta give. Suggestions on the best direction to go are greatly appreciated. I don't have an exorbadent ammount of money but with the money i could get from selling my blazer and insurance money (from my recently totalled mountaineer) I figure I should be able to do something. Thanks again
    Blake

2. destinbeachman

destinbeachman 1/2 ton status

huh?

Hey man,did you just say disco(as in Land Rover) and reliable in the same sentence? :haha: Maybe you should ask around about that.

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Exactly how much speed do you need? My old 350/th400 would cruise at 85 no probs. That was even after it got wrapped up to 7500 in the mud (dont ask). Engine was knockin like crazy at idle, but shed cruise at 85 pretty good.

If you want a stick, swap in an sm465, if you have a little more money to play with, consider an nv4500. More work, you have to fabricate a crossmember(I dont think any of the stock ones bolt up), and other odds and ends, but you gain an OD, that the 465 doesnt have. You should be able to get your tranny rebuilt for around 400 if you just wanna get it back together quick. Im on my 4th th400, but of course, my engine has a wee bit more tq than the stock 350. Shredded the first th400 a week after my engine, the next one lasted about 6 months till the torque converter ate itself, then the 3rd was an unfortunate carry-on of the previous carnage:doah:. Anyway, if this tranny breaks before its 'wear out' time, then Im goin nv4500 route in all likelihood.

Anyway, to round it all out, the sm465 should be pretty easy to swap it, especially if you can grab everything you need out of a donor truck. Theres even a handy write up on here(sure you've seen it) about swappin one in.

4. Buzz

Buzz Registered Member

are there any write ups on swapping a 4500 in. and also are there any things i can do to upgrade performance and mpg in my 350. It is a fairly new crate engine, I think it may be shot too. If it is are there any recommendations of what i should replace it with to get better mpg and power? oh and how the hell can you search through old threads. Ive noticed that i can't find the old search bar on here and on pirate. thanks again

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Havent seen any writeups on doin an nv4500 swap, into a truck. Ive seen one or 2 for jeeps, I believe one is on www.offroad.com . The search function is in the menu bar at the top, where you can access, user cp, members list, chat, etc. Use the advanced search if the regular brings up too many results.

I contacted this place http://www.high-impact.net/transmission_and_gear/nv4500.htm about an nv4500 conversion. Seemed to know his stuff, and IIRC for a conversion kit, minus the clutch pedal assembly and a few other pieces that he didnt have it was around $2300 including a new tranny, clutch, shifter, lube, and other things that I dont remember. I believe that was set up for the hydraulic clutch. Contact them to be sure, its been probably 6 months since I talked to the guy, I was fed up after my last th400 ate itself:doah: .

As for the engine, which crate motor is it? They sell 'crate' 350s that vary from 235hp to 450hp. Of course the obvious, headers, exhaust, etc. Why do you think the 350 now is shot?