Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pipe vs tube

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTBLAZER89, Mar 21, 2006.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am thinking of things like bumpers and such. Learn me about the differences, and pros cons etc. I know DOM is far superior, but is pipe similar to HREW? I was talking to the guy at the place i buy steel from, and he was showing me some pretty stout 1.5, and 1.75 pipe. I was thinking of maybe using this for a front bumper. What is the downfall of using pipe. Whats the difference between pipe and HREW? I want the bumper to be for protection on the trail, but I am not out ramming stuff either. Just wondering out loud here.

2. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Disclaimer I am not a metal expert and hold no degrees. Basically you ask this question and will get a hundred different answers, what it boils down to is tube is held to tighter tolerances than pipe in almost all aspects. In addition tube is processed more to obtain these tighter tolerances. That is the conclusion I come up with. I would not use pipe as a rollcage material for this fact. But I would use it as bumpers and sliders all day long. I have bent both using the proper dies on my bender and the tubing just looks less stressed than the pipe. No numbers here to back that up just what I see. Also I was going to use HREW tube for my rollcage but after looking around and asking many questions I decided my safety was worth the extra money

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

pipe and tube are differant. dom and hrew are similar. dom actually starts out as hrew just goes through more processes. look in the center of gravity forum, theres a whole disscussion on this

4. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Do the sliders made from pipe stand up to abuse? Can you jack the truck up using them?

6. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Pipe is quite a bit heavier then DOM or HREW

7. cbbr

For sliders I'm not sure that it would be that big a deal, that's why I'm wondering how it holds up.

8. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The reason pipe weighs more than similar OD tube is that the pipe is much thicker walled. People have built complete buggies out of pipe, yes you could jack your truck up with it.

9. MTBLAZER89

Cool thanks for all the info. I am not thinking of using it for a cage:wink1: Just a simple tube bumper. If nothing else just to see how it works. I just wanted to get some opinions:D

10. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

11. cbbr

As long as I am asking noob questions, is Sch. 40 what you get at Lowes/Home depot or something different?

12. Larry_in_Tx

Larry_in_Tx 1/2 ton status

13. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

This bad boy is pipe.
    [​IMG]

Pipe is heavier, measured on inside dia. HREW/DOM measured outisde dia, pipe is cheaper, something about being easier to bend comes to mind, but can remember details,

14. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Brian, one major drawback I see for using pipe for bumpers and HREW for cages is having to buy 2 different dies for your bender. If your making the bumpers straight with no curves it will be easy. But knowing the trucks you like, I would think your gonna add some creativity and make them look nice. Unless you already have both dies or you know someone with both, I say just build it out of HREW and don't look back.

15. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Don't buy the crap from those places. It is made in China and will collapse when you're trying to bend it. Go with US made A153 or India seems to put out some decent material. But stay away from the Chinese poop pipe!

16. MTBLAZER89

Yeah good point I forgot that they require different dies. Yup I would like a nice looking curvy tube bumper. I drew one up the other day that resembles the Blazin Off Road design, but with the center section like the UAV prerunner hybrid bumper. Not too many crazy bends all single plane. HREW it is then. I'll check around here on prices. I wonder if anybody close to me could help me bend some tube up:thinking: :whistle:

17. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You can bend pipe in your tube dies but you have to be careful the pipe is a little smaller and unless it is lubed really well ( and sometimes if it is) it will rip the pipe and mess up the followers on your die. Also it is hard to keep straight.

18. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I would love to practive on your bumper with your tube. That would be awesome. Come on over. All I have to do is bolt the stand to the ground and I'm ready to bend.:D

19. Dallin

Dallin 1/2 ton status

Pipe is not heavier than tube, unless of course you compare a larger pipe to a smaller tube. Here is a little chart I made of pipe sizes.

[​IMG]

ASTM A53 pipe has a yield strength of 35 ksi min. and a ultimate of 60 ksi min.
    ASTM A500 grade B tube has a yield of 42 to 46 ksi min and a ultimate of 58 ksi min.
    ASTM A513 1020 DOM yield 60 ksi ultimate 70 ksi

I can look up other ASTMs if there is a different product you're interested in.

20. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

I see HREW and pipe but what about CREW tubing?