Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pipes...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by s373n_rcr, Mar 15, 2004.

1. s373n_rcr

s373n_rcr Registered Member

Time for a new exhaust system. My first for a V8 truck. I have a pellet type cat all fed through a 3" pipe that goes into factory muffler then to 2.5" tailpipe. I definitely need from the cat back but have been told duals are the way to go for performance and sound. The shop I went to for a quote today told me that I would be wasting my money for a few different reasons.

a) duals on a fuel injected truck will give only marginal performance benefits and are mostly for showboys and their toys.

b) I would then have twice the exhaust equipment to replace at twice the cost when the time comes.

c) Heating two cats isn't a best case scenario as opposed to a single.

I wasn't looking for performance gains from my stock 350TBI nor was I looking for showability. I only want it to sound more like a 350 than it does with the factory muffler/2.5" tailpipe combination(sounds more like an Astro van). Not to say I want it to sound like a quarter mile car or anything, just a little more grunt then before. I have a few choices. What would you all do or recommend of these options.

a) Expensive; go for duals from the manifolds back and pay the mass cash for this, both now and in future.

b) Not so expensive; go only from the cat to a 3"pipe to a performance muffler: 1)Dynomax 18" (loud and cheap)
    2)Dynomax 24" (not-so-loud and cheap)
    3)Hooker (reasonable price)
    4)Flowmaster (most expensive)
    and then back to a 2.5" tailpipe.

c) Cheapest;Single 3"extension pipe to factory muffler and a 3"tailpipe.

Keep in mind that I also need to replace my rear springs, rear drums&shoes, front pads, rear axle seals, clutch slave cylinder, so cash is not something I can easily dispense of right now.... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

What would you do if you could do it, or do it again or replace it or whatever.

Cheers,
    S373N

2. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

Ditch the cat, run a 3" 40-series flowmaster, with single 3" tailpipe.

3. s373n_rcr

Trust me, I'd like to ditch the cat. It's an 89' so up here in the north I've got another 5 years before I'm emissions exempt, so I don't know if ditching it can be part of the equation.

Cheers. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I dumped my cat and got a single 3" Flowmaster kit from Summit....Installed it myself....

I like the sound, and recieved a mild performance gain. I stuck with a single exhaust so I could keep the heat up to try and burn some of the moisture out as most of my trips are short in duration....

5. detailer03

detailer03 1/2 ton status

Get a new cat. and go with a Gibson cat back. I have had it on mine since 94. Fits great. No mods. 3" all the way.

6. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

If you need to keep the cat ditch the muffler instead, sounds a lot meaner. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. s373n_rcr

Honeycomb type cat rather than pellet type? I've heard they're better, just debating on whether to wait til mines toast or do it now. So single 3" is the way to go? Seems so. Also, are headers a worthwhile investment while I am doing this s**t or is my cash spent better elsewhere? While I am at it, what about throttle body spacers. I don't have alot of cash to throw at the truck right now so am wondering what I should throw my change at.

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif89'Jimmy,350TBI,SM465,stock suspension and 10bolts,33x12.50's on rallyes. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif