Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pismo Carnage - Greg72 Style!

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by Greg72, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Ok guys....I'm a little slow getting to CK5 today but I didn't want to miss out on the silliness. Here are some pics I received on "The Incident" at Lopez Canyon on Sunday:

Ouch:
    [​IMG]

Tortilla Greg Strikes Again!!! - (Mad Props to Ryan B, the undisputed PhotoShop King!!!)
    [​IMG]

.....How did I get so nice and slim?!!!

Go ahead and have a laugh at my expense.....as usual! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

2. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thats the best and the worst thing i have ever seen! Now,.... where is that video of the action ?

3. Greg72

MilpitasK5 (Chris) has it all on video....you can actually SEE the top exploding off the bedrails and trying to fall off completely....

I don't know if he has any way to digitize it and post, but we might be able to get Dan (GoKarterGo) involved to host it for a day or two!

"Monster Garage" is about to start.....so I'm outta here!

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

5. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

No problemo...Just get it down to me...

6. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

OH ya..... hey... did you get a new AVITAR ? something looks different ? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

LMFAO!!!!!

8. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dang dude! You mean that's not normal? You don't think they were built for that much flex from the factory?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

So how'd ya get it home with a f'd up hard top??? Did you put a strap on the hardtop down to the truck to hold it on? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

9. Greg72

TWO WORDS:

vise grips

The best tool you can put in a trail toolbox. Acutally I used two visegrips, and moved a couple bolts to new "unbroken" holes and bolted it down again. Worked fine....

It was a tough drive home....75MPH to cure tire vibes, stop for gas, power steering pump or belt was squealing whenever I stepped on the gas even though the belts seemed snug....topped off the PS fluid a little. Beadlock went soft and got "thumpy" about 1/2 way home. Found a gas station with air, but the nozzle wouldn't fit...so Chris and I had to MacGyver an adapter to make it work. Got enough air in it to do another couple hours of 75 MPH driving home..... WOW, it was a gruelling trip.

I decided that I MUST install some sound deadening and carpet before I make any more trips....it is deafeningly loud and the "hardcore cool guy" image just isn't worth it to me anymore.

How about a little peace and quiet on my next roadtrip? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

10. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

We just got a new PC that should be able to do it. I'll try to have it up this week. If not, I'll take a trip down to Hollister and visit Dan! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Oops! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Hey you can have my hardtop if you can't get yours repaired!
    How far from Pismo was that trail?
    looks like fun! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Ouch I see that had to hurt...
    How did that mishapp happen..Come on still the beans Tortia man...lol /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif *Chuckel...... Chuckel* /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

Thants not you! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif is it

/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif *Chuckel......Chuckel* /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

14. Greg72

Mike,

A few folks had already headed up a real frame twister of an obstacle on the Lopez Canyon trail....one of those where your axles get totally crossed-up in opposite directions....FULL STUFF, FULL DROOP.

Well last year the obstacle wasn't quite a rutted, and I was able to make it up with 1/2 Ton open diffs and 35's, so I figured with 1-Ton, Locker & 38's it should be a cinch! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Problem is....I suppose, that my truck is a LOT flexier than last time and when it started to really twist, I started hearing the splintering of fiberglass....snap, crackle, pop!!

I didn't know how bad it was getting, and it seemed like I didn't have much further to go, so I kept climbing.

Then suddenly, there was a loud CRACK! and all the bolts that were holding the top to the rear beadrails tore through the fiberglass, and the top was hanging on only by the two bolts in the upper windshield area. There was about 4" of daylight between the top and the bedrails in the back.

At that point, I was most afraid that the whole top would simply tear off and fall completely off the truck, so I had the other guys push and hold it in place as I slowly backed down. There was a lot of torsional stress built up in that top, and we thought the side windows were going to blow out....fortunately everything held together and I was able to get it onto flat ground again.

The damage is all fixable, but it DOES serve as a reminder that you cannot expect a "stock" top to survive when the truck underneath gets heavily modified for flex. It also tells me that a rollcage integrated into the frame would be a good idea too. I personally don't like the idea that the entire body is twisting. I'd much rather have my springs flex, and have the body&frame stay straight.

15. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

One thing I just realized now, you had only 4 bolts on, that would alos make a difference.
    I would say all the bolts with big wide washers to distribute the load MIGHT have been better. but then again maybe it would have just went out with a bigger bang. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Well I definitely agree you should have a rigid body and let the suspension twist.
    I am glad I didn't stay and go on this trail. I would have probably broken my rear window, my jeeps body was so flimsy it would have crumbled. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. Greg72

I agree....more bolts attached would have only meant MORE damage!

I hate wheeling with the top on anyway...it feels too claustrophobic. I guess I'm spoiled having the full convertible most of the time.

Being open to the sky just feels "closer to nature" when you're out on the trails..... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

17. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You know? I had a 73, and I wheeled it more without the top than with, one thing I hated was that sometimes I would have my arm over the door and I would be flexing and OUCH, my arm would get pinched between the door and the jam.
    But I agree, with the top on it feels clostrophobic.

18. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

"one thing I hated was that sometimes I would have my arm over the door and I would be flexing and OUCH, my arm would get pinched between the door and the jam."
    - ICEMAN

I hate IT when that happens!

And I thought that was because my '73 doesn't have the inner and outer crank window rubber!

19. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    So you know what I mean.
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

20. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Except with me, it happens going down the freeway!

Hopefully the poly body bushings will help... I hope.