Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pismo is 3 days way! What you got going on?

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by zakk, Oct 28, 2002.

1. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

I am in panic mode as my Power Steering is dying fast. I know Greg has a few projects going, A few people's K5's are on blocks and are rolling other rigs.

Anyone else got last minute projects going?

2. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

I hooked up some lights yesterday and put my front driveshaft back on. After installing the lights my truck seemed to develop a "stutter" when taking off. It seems like an ignition problem. Gotta deal with that by tomorrow. This is the longest I've driven the truck since the new motor/tranny/axles... sh!t the whole drivetrain was replaced /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Gonna keep my fingers crossed... hope nothing falls off. This is my first time at Pismo, can someone list some special items needed like those long antena flags, shovel, goggles /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif what else.. Ryan B?

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Just the basics for me:

I may have found a local shop that can do that "Tire Trueing" that we all read about in the 4x4 Mags....but they can't deal with my truck until after the SEMA show (next week)

SO....I will need to install my TireLoc beadlocks and get the tires spin balanced (Equal powder sucks!).... That should make the drive a lot more bearable

Step 2: Tack weld at least part of the new rollcage in place, or remove the pieces entirely before Pismo. There is no reason to risk having all those loose pieces of tubing flying around inside my truck!

Step 3: Install hardtop...maybe get a few captive nuts welded into the bedrail the way they should be for a single-wall top.

Step 4: Install new ARP rocker studs and reset valve lash

Step 5: Install softer advance springs in the MSD distributor to achieve more than 25* total advance....not much power with only 25*...!

That's about it. The subwoofers had to be pulled out because of the new cage design, so I'll be running with only midbasses and tweeters....which is STILL a pretty decent system. I usually can't hear the stereo over the Swamper and Wind noise anyway...!!
    /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Zakk - if you need a PS pump I have a spare that you can have. One catch - you'll need to get the pulley off of it and give it back to me, it's a 2 groove that I need for my OBA setup. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

5. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

-Shovel is helpful if you get stuck!
    -Those long whips with a flag are required for Atv's and motorcycles not too sure how strictly it's enforced for trucks out in the dunes but definatly a good idea.
    I run a whip with my chevy flag.
    -Towstrap, Flashlight, Gas Can, CB radio, jacket, beer, firewood
    -you'll want yer tools in your truck out in the dunes.
    ... what else am i forgetting?

PISMO! PISMO! PISMO! PISMO! PISMO! PISMO! PISMO! PISMO!
    [​IMG]

6. Ryan B.

Now that my 4 page midterm paper is done i can stop stressing and get ready fer pismo. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    I still have to:
    -change rear diff gasket and change gear oil
    -install hardlines for tranny cooler.
    -put on hardtop
    -get all my stuff packed. at least the trailor is loaded and ready to go. The Heep is ready and i'm bringin some 114 octane to mix for it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Zakk- I had winchester auto press a pulley off a power steering pump for $5.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Flags aren't required on trucks in the dunes, but like Ryan said, it's a good idea. #1 item to bring to Pismo - TOILET PAPER! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Other stuff some people don't think of -

Those heavy duty hand wipes that you can get at auto parts stores are nice since sinks are few and far between.

I like to wear cowboy boots out there, since tennis shoes get loaded with sand real quick.

Windex and/or a squeegee thing like they have at gas stations is nice, the dust from the sand gets all over the truck, then the dew settles overnight and in the morning the windows are filthy.

If you're planning on having some fun by cruising the beach looking for people to pull out of the sand, invest in something to use to hook up to rigs without tow points. I use a 4' length of CHP approved highway chain with a chain hook on one end and a grab hook on the other. You can get the materials at OSH to build one for about $25. If you go out and use it you'll make the money back in a day or two. I don't ask for money for pulling people out, but people will sometimes offer, and alot of other people will give you beer or an invite to a bonfire, where there are usually chickies. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Geez, there's alot of other stuff... If anyone is interested I can email my Pismo Packing list, just let me know.</font color>

8. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If you need a power steering puller I have one you can barrow.. I could give it to Cheryl....Dan

9. Ryan B.

...And another thing...
    <font color="red">The SPEED LIMIT IS 15MPH along the beach or within 100' of a campsite... if you're pulled over they think you're drunk... the first thing they'll do is make ya get out and walk the line. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif </font color>
    We've sat there and watched this all night long on the busy weekends. Every person pulled over was given a sobriety test. Be careful out there you guys. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I have 2 power steering pulley pullers, neither one will get this @%$#&amp;! thing off. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif This might be an easy way to get it removed. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif There is a Winchester Auto less than 2 miles from my house too, so it wouldn't be too hard if they can do it. </font color>

11. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

LOL I understand.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

well my list is as follows

1) Go to DMV in modesto and find out if i get my licence back or not

2A) pack up my stuff and party like a rock start friday night

2B)(if no licence) Party like a rock star..try to get laid like normal..get royaly [censored] faced

3A) Load up my crap and jump on the freeway and recover from the hang over on the way to pismo

3B) Stay in bed and puke my guts out all day since i cant go anywhere anyway /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

so thos are my choices depending on how the cards are dealt wednesday /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

13. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

I gotta get my CB Radio hooked up. Is anyone free in the day time to help me figure out what I need to pick up for it and help me install it? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I definitely need to get an antenna.
    Hey Zakk, I may take you up on that offer if you're free in the day. I have work at 5:45 every night this week, up to Thursday. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I need to get front tow hooks and fire extinguishers probably tomorow.
    I haven't installed my steering brace kit yet and it doesn't look like I'll be able to this week. (My sister just had a baby so I'll be going there at least once a day since I won't be here for the week end).

I'm gonna take it easy on my truck anyway. I'm a broke a$$ fool that can't afford to break anything! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Geez, there's alot of other stuff... If anyone is interested I can email my Pismo Packing list, just let me know.

[/ QUOTE ]
    You can send me that list if you have time. I was searching for one but couldn't find one. I thought I saw a post with a phat list last time you guys went...

14. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Chris,

I think you are "over-stressing" on the CB install...!

I was the same way, thinking it was more like installing a new CD player or something with a lot of wires. I kept putting it off before the Moab trip and sure enough I ran out of time and didn't get it installed before we started driving.

I ended up installing it in the parking lot of our motel in Las Vegas. It took about 10 minutes! One power wire, one ground wire, screw in the antenna coax, and plug in the mic. I didn't optimize the signal or anything, but it still worked fine for the whole trip.

Time is getting tight for me, but if you still need help let me know.

15. MilpitasK5

That's what it sounds like! Zakk is gonna help me peep it out today and I'll probably get it all wired up! I'll bug you if I really have to. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I know you gots some shiiizzz to do!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Thanks as always!

16. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

hey chris did ya ever get that skid plate bolted up?

17. MilpitasK5

I sure did Chazz thanks. I need to swap out the whole cross memeber though because the skid plate was too long. The driver side bolts wouldn't go in so I just tightened the crap outta the passenger side bolts and zip tied the open end! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Pretty ghetto /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gifbut it'll do for now! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Thanks again and see you this week end.

18. dogman

dogman 1/2 ton status

Zakk:
    stuff to bring.
    I'll throw on the webber. (BranndonC said he is bring a Q too)
    wind block traps,&lt;(we won't need, because its not going to be windy)
    goggles, gloves,
    good flashlight
    water, firewood,
    chairs,

/forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

<font color="orange">dogman </font color>

19. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

You guy's have fun! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

you ninny! why aren't you going?