Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pissed off, it is nearly impossible to get CDL in this state nowadays

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Dec 9, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

state of IL

ever since gov george ryan screwed up the cdl system by selling and giving CDLs to thousands of ppl the cdl testing system has been cracked down upon, big time, and every company and such wants ppl with two years or so experience driving, it is nearly impossible to get cdl now and i have been talking to several ppl who have had their cdl for years and have tons of experience since before the cdl scandals and they are really worried about the upcoming renewal how they are going to renew, it will be no fun at all, just got done talking to a local towing and recovery guy who used to be my neighbor when i was growing up and when he was just starting out with 1 ton dually tow trucks and such, nowadays he has a yard and huge trucks and moves hundreds of cars up and down the insterstate, he said he has 500 he needs to move today and has no way to get it done no one to drive trucks to do it, he helped a guy get his cdl once but th guy faked past experience and nearly got the towing guy in trouble he wll never help another person get cdl again he says,

i want a job with trucks and vehicles and cdl and such and i dunno anything els ei can do and there is just no way to get a cdl now.,
    i would have to pay for and go to classes out of town every day and then id still be screwed trying ot find work cuz i dont have experience and companies insurance wants them to hire ppl with experience.,

what can i do ?

is it just this state or what?

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Call Swift.................

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

You hit the nail on the head when you say it is the insurance companies. When we had our own trucks we tried hiring a really good driver, but our insurance would'nt put him on because of his age and experience no matter what we said.

I would think your best bet is try and find a large trucking company that offer training to new comers. There is a few places nearby here that will train you and help you get your CDL while working for them.

Not sure how far you are from Chicago, but I think the one company here has termiansl up near Chicago. The company is: P.I. & I Motor Express. :)

4. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

Also Stevens Transport http://www.stevenstransport.com/ is hiring... their training is in Dallas, you train for 3 weeks, get your CDL out of it and then drive with an instructor for 5 weeks then with another new hire for 3 weeks, after that you get your own rig... they run all over the US

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Go to your local county seat. My mom, in the past, got the state to pay for her to go to truck driving school because she couldn't find a job. She went for free.

6. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

The most difficult thing about getting your CDL is having the truck for the test. Take the written tests, do the walk around, then driving test - piece of cake.

Your buddy with the towing business is a flake. If he wanted to hire you that badly, he would. He screwed up if something in the guys past made him unemployable. Having a CDL puts your name into a national data bank where ALL of your driving history is stored....

I agree that insurance companies are a big influence if you can get hired, which really sucks. Get off your but and go look for a beer/pop distributer. Work in the warehouse for awhile, then let them know you are interested in obtaining your license. Having licensed drivers around is to their advantage.

If all else fails, get the written tests out of the way, and come see me. After passing MY driving test, I could help you get the license by supplying a truck....If you don't pass my test, no deal.

Your 'friend' would be more interested in you if you had the license in hand already.

Rule #1, is keeping your driving record clean. If you get any ticket, fight it tooth and nail.

Many of the OTR companies have a superficial training program. Look at all the Chicks and Towel Heads they hire. If you go that route, stay with the Co. for at least a year before jumping ship for more money. They want to see drivers that will stay in one place.

Good Luck

7. k51989

k51989 Registered Member

i just got my cdl permit the other day. i have been talking about getting it for years now. i finally went and took the tests and it was a piece of cake.

i just have to take the driving test now. all i have to drive is one of our companies hydroseeders. i think all i can get with that is a class b.

i think i need to pull a trailer to get the class a. which would be no problem but we dont have any kind of a hitch on the truck. anybody know what the requirments for class a are?

its a straight truck with air brakes. it got the semi front-end but just hooked to a 1500 gallon tank on the back.

8. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 1/2 ton status Premium Member

the hardest part of the cdl is getting a truck the company i work for requires you to have a class a cdl if you don't have one they will help you get one
    here a class a has to be air brakes 26000 pounds or more i think if you hook any type of tank up then you have to have hazard

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

10. buick528

buick528 Registered Member

i thought it was gonna be a problem renewing my cdl they didnt even make me go to a cdl location but i have no tickets since i got it.plus i see will train truck drivers adds in the paper everyday up here in chicago.check the tribune site they have a good database.