Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pissed!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Nate87k5, Jun 23, 2000.

1. Nate87k5

Nate87k5 Registered Member

I finally got my A/C fixed. But I have to tell you guys...I got F**ked. So heres my story. Took the truck to a mechanic that was recomended to me. One that specializes in air. He took the truck and filled the system with dye and showed me were the leak was. Ended up being the condesor(payed him 32.50 for that). I asked what it would take to fix...489.00 total 189 of that labor. I told him that I would just replace the condensor myself and try to save some money and come back to have it fill. He said that was cool. So instead of paying 200 at Pep Girls for a New one I found one in good shape at a junk yard for 70. Put it in with a new orfice and O rings and ester oil on all of them. Took the truck back to them and all they had to do is a "Pump Down" and a fill of R12. Well after it was all said and done the shop charged me 130 for 3.25 lbs of R12 which I didnt have a problem with. But they charged me 130.00 for labor. I sat there and argued with the guy telling him that it only took half an hours work and no intensive labor was done so how did he justify charging me 2 hours worth of labor? He then refered back to his computer that tells me that the job calls for 2 hours and that is what they charge regardless of the time it took the mechanic. Then I explained to him that if I would have let them do the whole job that they would have only charged me 189. for three times as much work...only 59 dollars more then what he is charging know. I finally gave up and we settled on 97 dollars for labor. I am just so sick and tired of going to these mechanics and getting it stuck to me. I dont mind paying for there time and experience. But when it only takes you a half hour then charge me for that regardless what the book shows. Then you will wind up getting more business because I will recommend my family and freinds because I got a fair deal and not screwed. I tryed to explain this to the mechanic but he didnt quiet grasp that. I also explain to him that if I had bought the new condensor for 200 and with 130 for freon and 130 for labor I would have been looking at 460. bucks and would only saved 29 dollars off of his quote after doing 3/4th of the work myself. I would of been better off letting them do it. He could only agree that I should have let them do it. So gentlemen let me tell you this. You dont always save money doing it yourself because some way some how the mechanic will always get you.... By the way for you guys in AZ. Dont go to Wright Brothers Air and Automotive usless you want it in the shorts. Thanks for hearing me vent. Now get back to work.

2. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Nate...not trying to defend the shop but all labor time quotes come out of a labor time guide...i have the 99 edition at home in the garage. Flat rate is how both the mechanic and the shop make there money. The fast and smart tech makes money while the lazy one rides out the time and either breaks even or goes under. At FAZ we go by the book for all cash tickets and even FTL warranty dictates how much we get paid for every job like it or not! Personally i don't like working the flat as it can be a nasty duel edge sword...and the stress of worrying about taking home 40 hours sucks!!!

2). I work right up the street from you and would have gladly helped out a fellow K5 owner out...i have my own personal supply of dye in my toolbox and we could have done it at my house or the shop on a saturday or sunday after 6 pm when i can get away with murder. Plus we could have bought the 4 cans of R-12 from autozone or where ever for $29 and some change right over the counter. So next time think before you leap...you might be able to save some big coin!

3) If you would like to talk to someone at SWIFT about me and my skills please feel free to chat with MARK RILEY...Warranty Manager...623-907-7436. Mark and i have been freinds since 1989 and worked together at Swift until 93 when i moved on to better things...hehehe.

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

3. Nate87k5

Nate87k5 Registered Member

Hey, Doug I appreciate the input. I do realize that shops do charge by the flat rate regardless of how long it takes. But in my opion it is highway robbery when the tech only took half an hour to do the job and they turn around and get me for 2hours at 65 an hour. I dont understand how it would ever take 2 hours to fill a system with freon even if the tech was lazy. My 8 year old son could have done in half an hour if he was EPA certified and had the gauges. Dont get me wrong I dont mind paying for the HIGH per hour rates that shops charge when I need them....I just hate being told that the work takes two hours and I now for a fact that it doesnt. Ok I'm done. I guess next time I will give you a call. I appreciate the offer for help. Your probably right....I didnt think before I lepp. I just hate putting other people out with problems that I am having. Thanks again for the offer. Next time I may take you up on it. By the way are you working today? And what time are you in? Might stop by.

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I have a time guide also, and the times they have in there are ridiculous.

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

5. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

6. BigBadBowTie

BigBadBowTie 1/2 ton status

<font color=purple> Hey AZBLAZER, we need to talk about my awful R-134 conversion. Maybe I could buzz up there after my new 383 is installed (to show it off of course) Could even bring you the long awaited 700r-4 that we could never connect on. Plus maybe you'd be willing to take this Damn dana 44 off my hands?? How about a hood? Anyway we need to get together on the A/C issue.</font color=purple>
    [​IMG]

<font color=purple>Rick
    86 K-5</font color=purple>

http://www.BigBadBowTie.ColoradoK5.com

7. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

At the local Midas shop,,Raytown, Mo,, all the mechanics set their own rate and cost of the job. It's pretty cool. Seems to work out. There a great bunch of guys and have treated me right every time.

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alaska Bound

8. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Oops...meant $29.62 a can for R-12. R-134A is around $7 bux a can. Just got home from the shop...its now 3:39 am. Will be there saturday 3:30 pm till midnight. Workin my days off...sunday and monday to make a few hours as i am taking wednesday off to prep for the Why To K5 Trip. Will be drivin the Chalet today! The 79 went down hard thursday with a trans failure...never fails...right before the big trip..lol. At least it happened before the trip not on the trip! I don't mind helpin out if you have the time when i do...thats what the board is all about...or at least i think so...lol. Workin nights makes it tuff but...i can help out.

My Tucson brother...after the trip we can do a sunday get together at my place barby que and all...and see if we can't get that A/C workin good. Let me know in advance and i'll pick up a vacum operated heater valve at apak and the accumulator boot while i am at it.

Gots ta run ...needs some zzzzzz time...lol.

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban