Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pissed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tecton, Jun 18, 2003.

1. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

ok
    ive had it
    i cant get past 45 on a hill...even a slight grade it is absolute nightmare to get up to 60

i can start up a hill goign 60 and be doing 45 with my pedal on the floor...its rediculous

ive had the same garage check my timing...over and over...still sucks
    600 Edlebrock Carb
    Wieand Intake
    Headers
    Glasspacks
    3.42 Gears
    i have no clue what the deal is but omg its startig to piss me off

has a 600 edlebrock carb...would a 650 help?
    what else besides my timing would contribute to a loss of power like that?

my luck its something stupid like my air filter or soemthing. I changed it once to one that was slightly larger and i could feel the difference...its just pissing me off

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    3.42 Gears

[/ QUOTE ] change them and you will be happy with 33's you should have 3:73's but i would go with 4:10's change them and you will have plenty of get up and go /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

3spd with OD + 4.10

what kind of top speed are we looking at?

4. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

What size tires are you running? Even with 3:42's you should have plenty of power. I'm running a stock 350 TBI, 3:42's and 33's and I can accelerate uphill while pulling my 4500# boat. If you can't do any better than to maintain 45 mph on an uphill grade, there is something seriously wrong.

You said that when you changed to a larger air filter you felt a differance right? Are you running one of those tiny little 6" diameter open filters? If so throw it away and get at least a 14" open filter. If that doesn't do anything, try taking to air filter off completely and give it a try.

If that doesn't help, make sure that the butterflys of the carb are opening up totally. Check the throttle cable by having a friend hold it to the floor while you peer down the throat of the carb to make sure that the butterflys on the primary side are opening completely. A 600 with vaccuum secondaries has to be tuned to each engine that it sits on because the vaccuum has to overcome the resistance of a spring. So you want to make sure that they are opening usually you can hear the moan when they open, but on some engines when the carb is correctly tuned you can't. If you arn't sure, you can get yerself a spring kit and start with the middle one. If that one doesn't open up the secondaries when you want them to open, take it out and put them next lighter spring. Continue until you have them opening when you want to. A word of caution however, first off vaccuum secondaries won't snap open no matter how light of a spring you use (and in reality you don't want them to snap open), the respond to the engine's air intake needs. Secondly, if you have them open to soon, you will get a nasty bog when you floor it and a real good chance of a backfire thru the carb, instantly ruining the power valve.

Next if that doesn't work, have you timing advance checked. You can do this by yourself with a timing light. Next on the list of things to check would be to check your brakes, one of them (or the E-brake) could be hanging up.

After that I would check you exhaust system. Your cat could be partially clogged or a baffle in your glasspacks could have broken loose and be blocking the flow. Lastly I would have the cam, lifters and push rods checked.

Hope this helps.

5. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

Now why in the world did I think you were running a Holley? I don't know a lot about Edlebrock carbs, but if it has vaccuum secondaries, the prociedure should be close to the same.

6. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Edelbrock carbs (at least the performers) use metering rods, not power valves. Make sure your choke isn't sticking. I just found on our work truck a spring was missing causing the choke to fall closed during hard accelleration in essence "choking" the carb and starving the engine of air. Was a night and day difference once I fixed that.

7. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

all ive heard from people is that edlebrocks are trash...

glasspacks are new...plus this problem was aparent when and ebfore i had them put in...thin just REALLY dogs on hills...dad told me to keep it in 2 if its not a super long hill...that will get me up it faster...

but im going to have everything on it checked as soon as i can afford...slow vehicles piss me off, lol...i mean this thing is a bus and its like twice as fast as my last truck, haha

but it gets to where a minivan passes me and i just want to sell the engine and get a crate 502

8. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

How big of a hill?

Do you get spark knock?

With those gears and that size tires you don't need to run it in overdrive except on flat land at 55mph or faster.

If it's a relatively steep hill then when you get on the pedal the torque converter will disengage and give you 300-700rpm which is more than enough to get you up without opening the secondaries. With the torque converter unlocked in third gear you will probably be turning 2600rpm or so at 45mph.

Anyway, I'm leaning towards a poorly tuned carburetor. There is a miniscule chance that your distributor isn't advancing. What model carburetor do you have?

9. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    all ive heard from people is that edlebrocks are trash...

[/ QUOTE ]

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one and they all stink. I Ran an edelbrock performer 750cfm on the sb350 in my chevelle and properly tuned that thing lit em up. That is not opinion, it's fact. It has mechanical secondaries so that may make a difference for your Q jet. The motor and carb I am speaking of now sit in my blazer project codenamed the digr. The cam will be getting changed to make torque a bit lower since I won't be running a 2speed powerglide tranny, and I may need to change my springs and metering rods...but as far as drivability there was virtually no difference between a mountain and flat....and believe me it saw it's share of mountains here. Get the carb tuned, and check the exhaust. I was never impressed with glasspacks and cherry bombs are even worse...all they are is a tapering exhaust that takes a 2.5" pipe and narrows it to 2" effectively clogging the exhaust.

10. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Hmmm, is this engine old? Maybe your cam is worn. SBC are prone to cam wear problems. Get a timing light; check out the advance.

11. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

any hill...im talking anything other than flat it dogs on

fastest i can hit quickly is about 50 then its [naughty word]

its a 600 performer series
    [​IMG]

12. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

is ur motor boggin down? or is it screamin and no go? cus if its screamin i'd say tranny slippage. i got stock 350 TBI wit stock gears and i can do 75 up a steep hill. though my tires are 32's, that shouldn't make that big a diff.

13. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Did the rig run normal with this carb or did it just start happening when the carb was installed? If it did run normal but is now sluggish and you tracked it to the carb I'm guessing it is a metering rod spring. If the spring is broke or goes soft the carb will be starved for gas at WOT but run fine at part throttle. A metering rod fits in a hole (like a jet) and as the vacuum decreases when the throttle is hammered the metering rod is lifted out of the hole by the spring..a soft or broken spring will not lift the rod out. They also have tuning kits with different metering rods and springs to custom tune your carb.

14. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

its a new carb...engine/carb has 11k miles...(ive had it since 600)

it still soudns like its backfiring at high RPM's and around 3k it starts and i lose power...like hitting a wall or something

i dont know what to think

ive had the timing adjusted twice...mabye i should go have it set all the way up...see if that helps? or try a diff garage?

15. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

well, if u adjusted the timeing twice, and adjusted it to the right spek...well...first off, isit backfirin thru the carb or exhaust? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

16. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

Bad fuel pump or filter. Does it ever surge? Like it gets enough fuel then not. Could have some crap in a fuel line. Make sure there is no pin holes in any fuel lines either.

17. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

maybe someone already said this, but does the tranny downshift? that could be a problem too

18. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

Id check your distibutor and ignition

19. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

id check compression on the motor... how many miles on that thing? i had 33's with 3.73's and with my 465k miles on the motor... she dawged up hill.. put a police cam in ( dunno what but my father works for a borough so he had a cam laying around.. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif) then she woke up.... and could rip up sugar sand hills throwin rooster tails in 4wd!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

20. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    its a new carb...engine/carb has 11k miles...(ive had it since 600)

it still soudns like its backfiring at high RPM's and around 3k it starts and i lose power...like hitting a wall or something

i dont know what to think

ive had the timing adjusted twice...mabye i should go have it set all the way up...see if that helps? or try a diff garage?

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's backfiring up through the carb you are running lean.