Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pistol purchasing advice.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by hunterguy86, Dec 13, 2006.

1. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I have never owned pistol before but I am looking at purchasing one in april when I turn 21.

I have grown up around weapons and have plenty of expirence with rifles and shotguns. I have shot a few pistols as well.

I am looking to buy a pistol mainly for home defense but just to shoot as well.

I have been looking at a few. I really like the Berretta 92FS Brigadier because its .40 cal. I think I want something bigger than 9mm but im not sure.

Please give advice on what to look for as far as chosing a weapon as far as style and caliber and anything else.

2. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

The most important thing you're going to hear on this site, is to pick a gun you're comfortable with.

3. hunterguy86

I like the feel of my uncle's Beretta 92FS and I really dont like the feel of a Glock 20.

I'm looking for a reasonably priced weapon that is good for home defense. I also want something with reasonably priced ammo so I dont spend a ton of money when shooting at the range.

I would also like to have one to carry when going hog/deer hunting as a backup.

4. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

As stated - whatever you are most comfortable with. In light of that, a shorter nose pistol is better than a longer one for self defense. A revolver is easier than a semi-auto to use in an emegency situation since you really don't have to think, just point and pull. As for a revolver a .357 can be used with a .38 round for just shooting which means a cheaper load. A .357 has plenty of stopping power, for that matter so does a .38. The .357 will stop a hog though so it will definetly stop a crack head as well. :rolleyes:

I carry a 1911 style .45 but I can break it down, clean it and reassemble fairly quickly which helps in becoming comfortable with the weapon also.

Again, whatever you are most comfortable with.

5. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Check out the Taurus PT1911 too... $500-600 for as good a pistol as an original Colt...

6. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

For beginners, a revolver is best, as there are no safeties or magazines to fool with. If I was going to get a revolver for home defense, it would be .45LC caliber. BIG slow bullet, lead nose so it deforms quickly and does not over penetrate.

Look at Taurus and Ruger revolvers. I believe they are the least expensive QUALITY firearms for your need.

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Go to a range. Rent/shoot as many as you can. I have a HK USP .45 V1 and love it.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

get the biggest caliber that you can comfortably and accurately shoot during rapid fire... and that you can afford practice ammo for.

I have a 9mm... I can afford a TON of ammo to practice with... and its plenty powerful enough to kill intruders in my house. 45 whores love to beat their chest about their fat little bullets... and the 45 is a good round... but no handgun bullet has killed more people than the 9mm. :thumb:

At any rate, go with friends or rent some guns in different calibers to see what works best for you. Best advice I can give.

j

9. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Good advice. Don't get hung up on caliber or brand until you shoot all the common calibers and a few brands and sizes.

A revolver is a good starting point, but if you take it to the range often you may become bored with it quickly. As stated Taurus and Ruger make good affordable wheel guns.

As for semiautos, Ruger and Taurus also make good affordable one but so do Springfield (I love the XD's) and Smith and Wesson. Really you can't go wrong with any major brand as long as you like it, it feels good in the hand and it goes bang every time.

And I will agree with phoenixzorn; that Taurus 1911 is a smoking deal. Most say that they will be up to $600 soon, but can be had now for $425.

10. burban89

burban89 1/2 ton status

Agree!! And I wouldnt go with anything smaller than a .45, but that is just me.

11. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

springfield XD.40
    shoot it, you will like it
    do not, i repeat, do not buy a gun untill you have put at least a box of ammo through one just like it.

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if you are rich and can handle any amount of recoil... try the fullsize Glock in 10mm. Nothing says "I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum" like 15 rounds of 10mm. 650+ ft/lbs is definitely possible with the 10. I really wanted to get one to replace my H&K USPf 9mm... but I can't afford 10mm ammo, at least, not in the quantities I'd like the practice with! :thumb:

j

13. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

The Berretta is a fine choice. I love my 92c and my 96.

14. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I like the Ruger centerfire automatic personally. I carry a P89.

15. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I vote for the try different firearms and go with what's comfortable. I would have never thought to consider a CZ 75 until I tried it at the range and had Heather shoot it. Make sure you try revolvers, too. The Taurus Tracker is a blast to shoot :)

16. hunterguy86

I've been looking into the CZ 75. I think I like it. I want to shoot one though and see. Is yours the double action or single action?