Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

piston ring gap location??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4.030sbc, Apr 29, 2006.

1. 4.030sbc

4.030sbc Newbie

hey guys im in the process of building my 1st motor. last night i installed the pistons and rings into the block. it was late and i think i may have not lined up the gaps on the ring on the rigt spot on the piston. i have the top ring facing the inside of the block , the middle ring facing the outside of the block. i the bottom oil ring facing the front of the block. the only 2 rings left are the small ones that sandwitch the oil ring. i lined there gaps up with the top and middle ring, one facing in one facing out. Now that i have read the manual i see that they say the 2 thin ol rings should not be lined up with any of the other gaps. they should be like at like 2 and 8 oclock on the piston. so long story short im pretty sure the top, middle and lower ring is fine its just the thin oil ring that i am a little worried about. what do u guys think. will it be fine the way they are or should i pull pistons and move the thin oil rings an inch to the left and an inch to the right like the manual says. so nothing lines up.
    i want every thing to be good because i have domed pistons and 76 cc heads witch should make like 9:1 compression. well eny help would be cool thanks a lot,:bow:nick.

2. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Unless you are ABSOLUTELY sure (as if your life depends on it) those rings are in EXACTLY per factory manual, pull it and do it right. Can't cut corners.

3. jeeptuff

jeeptuff 1/2 ton status

4. 4.030sbc

4.030sbc Newbie

thanks for the picture im not worried about the gap just the how the align the gaps b4 they are installed. i think i will just pull em out. there not torked down yet so its not that big of a deal thanks guys. young and dumb wins again:doah:

5. jeeptuff

jeeptuff 1/2 ton status