Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

piston rings

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by YELL78, Feb 18, 2006.

1. YELL78

YELL78 Registered Member

well im getting ready to put together the stroker motror for my street car and was wondering if O.E. piston rings made by speed pro are going to hold up ok or should i use something different? the guy that did the machine work and chose the rings is a very reputable engine builder and he is pretty conservative so i dont think he would give me something he wouldnt use but what do you all think the motor is a
    393w sbf with a scat cast crank H-beam rods, KB pistons and AFR205 cylinder heads i kow this is a chevy forum but i also have a swb GMC so any help would be really appreciated, i have a lot of money tied up in this thing and i dont want to screw it up due to a cheep set of rings.

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Speed pro rings are good so are Hastings and Perfect circle. I use Perfect circle rings at work and never had any issues, ever.

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

agree, speed pro are good rings, IIRC, they are made by federal mogul and are what GM uses.
    i almost always use hastings rings, unless i go with a moly ring. they are made not too far away from me and are what just about everyone carries around here.

4. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Get a set of rings from him....Also, ask him for the directions from the KB pistons about the ring fit. KB pistons require a different ring gap than normal, and must be file fit....