Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pitbull & Rottweiler (sp?) advice

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tiger9297, Aug 8, 2005.

1. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Here's the short and sweet version: Just bought a house: Doing some work on it right now: Move in at the end of the month: Subdivision in the county so no leash laws and dogs pretty much run free. One neigher has a pit bull and a rottweiler. They both came up in my yard the other day and were fine. The owner has told me that they are "sweet" and "would never hurt anyone". However, my wife weighs 100lbs. and this rottweiler has to weigh at least 120+. Also, I have a little girl on the way (Oct. 20) and in a couple of years she will be wanting to play in the yard. Obviously either dog could severly injure or kill my wife and/or daughter. I am thinking I need to start conditioning these dogs NOW so they will get the picture that they are not welcome in my yard. I have thought about an electric fence but I don't really want a wire running around my yard, and I will run the risk of my little girl touching it. I'm thinking I will mention my concern to the owner the next time I see him, but I doubt they will build a fence or tie the dogs up just b/c of my concern, especially since they have been roaming free for so long. I know some of you have small children. I already feel the need to protect my daughter and she isn't even here yet, so I'm sure that feeling will be multiplied once she is here. I want her to be able to play in her yard without the fear of these dogs. Any advice or ideas?

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Personally, I would put up a fenced area for our wife/child if at all possible. A nice picket or hurricane fence will do. You don't need a huge fence,just something to keep them out.

You can also shoot them with a BB or soft air gun everytime they come in your yard. Not a powerful one, just the spring type. It will get their attention quick. You would be surprised how well they learn not to come in your yard. The trick is to shoot from inside the house so they don't see you. That way they are sacred of the house/yard, not of you. It also helps that the neighbors won't see you pointing a BB gun at their dogs. :D

3. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I've thought about the BB gun thing. I didn't think about being inside the house though. That's a good plan. I could build a fence, but I don't really want to do that even though I may have to. Just seems to me that my wife and daughter should be able to be out in OUR yard without worrying about someone else's dogs. I'm not asking the neighbor to make HIS yard safe for my little girl: just mine. Sorry i guess I'm venting a little now.

4. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Not too small of a fence, though. Rott will just jump over it. It depends on how much you mind ruffling your new neighbor's feeelings. I'd ask him to have them leashed, at least when the kid is outside. Beyond that, just have an area to play in the backyard, safer in the back anyway from more than just dogs...

5. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

i would go for talking to the neighbor first. my dog scares some people that hang out at my house so i put her up just so they are comfortable. as for the bb idea i would literally kill someone for shooting my dog with anything. just express your concern and see what happens im sure some kind of agreement can be met without any serious actions.

6. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

leash laws or no leash laws , dogs should not be able to roam free onto
    anyone elses property. period !!!. i know if a dog comes in my yard no matter
    what kind of dog it is. it gets one chance to get out or its going to suffer. too
    many dogs are running free and its not just the ones attacking, but also the ones that are crapping in otheres yards.
    again no dogs should be able to run free :mad:

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I wouldn't want anyone shooting mine either, and don't advocate actually hurting the dogs, but i have a 6' fence around the back yard where mine stay unless they are with me. Some of my neighbors are not quite as considerate.

The BB gun has saved me countless mornings of picking up the trash (which I bagged the first time) off of the drive. :doah: Noothing like a little sting on the a$$ to get their attention.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Just put up a 3 foot or 4 foot chain link fence. It'll keep the dogs out, be nice for your children and any pets too play in your yard, You can always plant headges too hide fence if you don't like the look of them. If you have a big back yard, maybe just fence it off and have your kid(s) play in it.

9. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

That's my point exactly. I know I could build a fence and all that, but the point is that I shouldn't have to. No dogs should be allowed to just run free. I don't care if it's a pit bull or poodle it should be kept on the owner's property. It's not my responsibility to keep someone else's dog off my property. Additionally, my house sits on a 4.5 acre lots covered with trees and lots of landscaping. I simply don't want to put a fence up.

10. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Can you call animal control (dog catcher) on your neighbors dogs? We called the county shelter when there was a pig in our yard and they came out and got him. After your neighbor bails his dogs out a couple times he may restrain them.

My friend lives within the city limits and had a neighbor's pit pull chase his kids through the yard and then went and tried to fight with his dog. We asked the cops what to do. They said if you feel your life, family's life, or your dog's life is in danger that he could shoot the neighbors dog and then the cop went and warned the neighbors of what may happen. About a week later the pit bull chased the kids through the yard again and was fighting with my friends dog. The pit bull was stopped promptly by a .357

11. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Yea I kind of thought that if the dog comes on my property and endangers my family I have the legal right to kill it. I have no desire to kill these dogs. I love dogs. BUT I would kill them without hesitation if they so much as growled at anyone in my family. I have a friend with the FBI and a friend with the Sherriff's Dept. I thought if one of them could get me a tranquilizer gun I could shoot the dogs with that and have the Sherriff come pick them up. Have that happen a few times and the owner might realize the next time I might not use the tranquilizer gun.

12. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

That sounds like it may work. Just be sure to check with someone so you can't get sued. I agree with you also that you shouldn't have to use your time and money to "protect" you and your family from the neighbors dog.

13. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

Im not disagreing with the fact that they should not be on your property but im tired of the whole bread hating thing. If it were a Corgie(which is the only dog i have ever been bitten by) you would not feel so intimidated by these dogs. Hate the deed not the breed. Give them some credit before you load up your AK's just out of fear. My pit is more loving and has more personallity than my lab and plays beeter with my 1 year old niece than the lab as well. Like i said express you concern to your neighbor and if the dogs mean anything to him then it will be taken care of.

14. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

I agree, talk with your neighbor first. Ask him to keep the dogs in his yard. I have a rott, and it is one of the best dogs I've ever had. I don't have a fence, but she is only outside when I am, and knows where her yard ends and will not cross it, unless I do, and call her to come with me.

15. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

ok to start with i only have 27 dogs now. That is down from 55 at one time. We do breed dogs. Mostly poodle mixes among others but all in the 25 or less catagory. I am aposed to the bb gun till after something is said about your concern for the wife and future child to the owner. I know alot of dogs are babies but you never know. They all have teeth. A yorkie or a chawawa sp can still bit your ankles and when you fall bit whatever else. I have friends that have roties that are big stuffed animals. A parts lady at work never had a problem for years with the nieghbors dog, a rotie. One day had the grand baby in her arms going from the car to the house and the dog jumped her. Not to agrssive but enough she got scratched with the less than a year old in her arms. Her husband was not home. The man was told about the incident and if anther thing comes up he will find the dog dead where ever her husband finds it. 27 dogs none run free without direct supervision and even then a leash 50 plus % of the time even though i have 8 acres. I have not had but 2 escapes in 10 years. I would expect a warning the first time if nothing serious but if they bit bring them back dead or not. Talk to the man about your concerns. Never be to safe or worried even about your own dog. One of the number one bites is from your own pet left in the room with a little one.

16. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

1: talk to the owner as a main concern with the baby comming. he should keep a eye on his pets anyways but i know i never leash mine or keep an eye on them 100% of the time. my dog is huge so he scares people a lot but would never growl at someone or hurt them. our daughter proved that as a baby many times when we would catch her sitting or standing on his head :haha:

2: it is legal to shoot a dog on ure property. although not always legal to discharge a fire arm. so u could get in trouble for that. You CANNOT shoot a dog with a BB gun or the type. not only could u accedntly get a 1:100 shot off and take an eye out, but the owner could get u on animal cruelty-up to 3yrs or $5,000 depending on local laws- not worth it.

3: on the other hand u can pepper them if all else fails and they will learn. get some fire hot sauce, pepper not vinegar (like atomic or of the likes) it will last a while. put a little in a super soaker or water balloon or what u perfer with water. then nail them. OOHHH yeah they learn quick. used to have to pepper dogs when i worked for the county. smart dogs maybe 2 then if they saw the can come out they would take off :eek1:

but talk to the guy first, if he is a reponsible pet owner then he will act. on the other hand- if he is making an effort be patient with him, the dogs been roaming free for long time it will take a while for them to learn too. see if u guys can become better aquainted, so the dogs will understand it is ure territory. ( heck go pee on ure property border once in a while :haha: :haha: J/K)

oh yeah-breed of dog dont mean much- it is a stereo type. could be very loving and kind. although i donnt like pits at all-worthless if not trained/used as a protective dog. imo

hope it helps a bit

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I agree. I've been around many pits and rots. Most of them are your everyday house pets, very loving dogs. I really hate how the breeds have gotten bad reputations because some people would fight them. German Sherpards are responcible for more dog bites then pits.

18. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Labs are responsible for more dog bites than any other breed.

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Thanks for the correction. Ya learn something new everyday.

20. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

i wonder what the most popular breed is? wonder what the ratio would be per breed? one of the most agressive breeds that is known to bite everyone-even the owner if not strictly training or keeping in right social conditions is never mentioned? other then they are rare.

the bottom line is a dog breed has tendancies but can be trained or delt with accordinly. it is an owners fault by neglect. so to say a pit WILL bite is false, to say labs are more dangerous because they have the most reported bite cases- hmmm i see a long argument in the making ;)

although u can go with my dogs breed, never heard or seen an aggresive bone in thier body unless another dog is trying to be mean to my lab/rott/german shepard mutt. then he finds his no nuts and puts the smack down :haha: