Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pitman arm boot EDIT: Sector Shaft Seal? SEE page 2

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Apr 26, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I was pressure washing my burb today, and the little boot that protects the grease fitting inbetween the pitman arm and draglink decided to rip in half. I'm going to go by autozone tomorrow and rent a pickle fork. I'll also get a cotter pin to put back on the nut. Does anyone have a part number for this little rubber boot I ripped in half? An autozone part number? What would they list it as under their site? How any ftlbs of torque should I put this nut back on at? Is this gonna be an easy job, or difficult?
    thanks,
    James

Last edited: Apr 28, 2006
  2. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

usually you have to buy the hole rod end as far as I know you can't buy just the boot

3. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

Check the HELP section there. There are usually some universal fit boots. Here's a linke to Advance Auto Parts Boots :D

Rick

4. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

You can buy a pickle fork for under $20. I got one at the zone, and I've used it quite a few times. A lot easier IMO than having to rent one every time.

5. 78Suburban

I guess I'm gonna get Engergy Suspension part number 913119G
    its 21/32" at the top and 1 5/8" at the bottom, will that fit the end of my drag link correctly?
    thanks,
    James

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I'm not sure what size you need, but you could have them pull a new one off the shelf and match them up that way. The pickle fork is about $10 to buy one, then you'll always have it.

7. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Befbuy a pickle fork, try to remove it by smacking the sides (not top or bottom) with a hammer. It may take a few whacks, but they usually come out if they are not rusted. Very rarely do I need to use my pickle fork. If you do buy a pickle fork, buy one that can be used with a regular hammer or an air hammer. That way you can have power assist when needed.

8. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

pickle forks of a couple different widths are a real good thing ot have around, no matter how often you think you may need to use it, when you do need one then its great to be able to just grab it and use it without any extra thought or trouble- just like with anything else

for the boot- if it were mine and i couldnt find a new boot alone, i would probably hunt down a good used one and go for it and if i didnt feel liek separating the joint in order to replace just the boot i would probably slit it after washing it real good and then adhesive seam it back together

but it depends, may not be able to do something like that if the boot compresses alot in the joint with the stud all the way tightened/seated in said joint

good luck

9. 78Suburban

Got some goodies at Autozone

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well, I went by autozone and rented the pitman arm pickle fork. I got them to dig out a drag link and we compared its boot to a boot at the help section. Neither one looked like my stock boot, which has a metal ring at the bottom. I ended up getting a pack with 2 HELP! brand "tie rod boots". The diameter seems to be about right, but I may end up having to cut down the bottom half of the boot. I will be able to tell more when I get the drag link and pitman arm seperated. I've got my fingers crossed that it will be close enough in size to make a half decent seal. So is 60 ftlbs a good torque to try?

Also, while I'm at it, I noticed a good bit of PS fluid all over the top of my pitman arm, it looks like its leaking from the sector shaft area. Is there a seal there? How hard would it be to replace? What all would I have to remove, and how? Does anybody have a part number for that seal? I figure while I've got the pickle fork rented, I might as well address that, because I've been loosing PS fluid like the titanic. (I've still got the stock 4x4 steering box and sector shaft, and still have stock push pull steering).

Thanks,
    James

10. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Don't worry about the metal ring that your old boot had. I wouldn't worry about a perfect fit either, cause they're supposed to be squished a little bit. You probably can't even tell what shape the old one used to be anyway, so you don't have much to go by.

Yes there's a seal at the sector shaft, I'd try replacing it. Just remove the pitman arm (you may need to rent the puller), remove the top cap of the box, and pull out the shaft. You shoud be able to get to the seal from there.

11. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I've got the same kind of phone that you have. That's all I have to contribute right now.

12. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

That sounds like lounge talk. :ignore: :doah:

13. 78Suburban

[​IMG]

replacing the sector shaft seal looks like it will be quite a chore. Any body got part numbers for the seal on a '78 4x4 steering box?
    thanks,
    James

14. 78Suburban

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?UseCase=C001&UserAction=performMoreDetail&Parameters=TRUE%7C%7EKIT+-+POWER+STEERING+GEAR%7C%7ENONE%7C%7EPOWERCRAFT%7C%7ENONE%7C%7EFALSE%7C%7EFALSE%7C%7E198879%7C%7E141%7C%7E7856%7C%7ELOWER+PITMAN+SHAFT+SEAL+KIT%7C%7E%249.99%7C%7ECHEVROLET+TRUCK%7C%7EK20+3%2F4+TON+SUB+4WD%7C%7E1978%7C%7ENONE%7C%7E0.25%7C%7ENONE%7C%7EB

Would this have all the seals and gaskets I would need to get to my sector shaft seal, and replace it? Anybody got any details on the meathod you use to blow the seal out with the pressure from your power steering system? I read it searching, but was a little sketchy on the step by step process.
    thanks,
    James

15. 78Suburban

TTT, is that part number ok? The Autozone has 1, and I'm about to drive 40 miles into town to get it. Is this the correct kit to replace my sector shaft seal? :bow:

16. 78Suburban

if anybody cares.....

Are these the right seals? I got the $10 kit. Any tips on using all this good stuff before I dive in tomorrow?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. 78Suburban

ttt, anybody got some tips on replacing this seal before I finish my coffee and go outside to start tear things up :laugh:

18. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Yes, quit drinking coffee. It'll make you old like everyone else.:D

19. 78Suburban

I've got a junky set of snap ring pliars, and they don't wanna hold the snap ring closed good enough to reinstall it. I've got it all put back together, even drove it a little, but the snap ring keeps falling out. Also, not that the steering box doesn't leak, I think it kinda blew some more seals in my ps pump... the ps pump has a whine to it, that it never had now. Man I need a good set of snap ring pliars, that thing is a PITA. But the swap went exceptionally smootly untill now.

20. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I usually find that as long as I can get a snap ring into the hole, that I can get into position the rest of the way with a punch. It is a snap ring, so it should snap into place once you get it in there far enough. It could be that your seal isn't seated all the way, and preventing the snap ring from getting into it's groove. If all else fails, break out the hammer,:p: I think your problem is beginning to look like a nail...