Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pitman Arm/Crossover Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Swanson52, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I was browsing through my Skyjacker catalog, and I see they offer the pitman arm for the GM crossover (originally a Ford arm) in 2 different drops. One is the standard 3.5-4" (same as the Superlift 1104), but they also offer one in a 5.5" drop. As I am not too familiar with steering dynamics/geometry in this case; would using the larger drop alleviate some issues with crossmember clearance, as well as keeping the drag link closer to parallel to the tie rod? Will using the longer pitman arm create other stress issues on the box or other components?

2. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    would using the larger drop alleviate some issues with crossmember clearance, as well as keeping the drag link closer to parallel to the tie rod?

[/ QUOTE ]

i believe this will help

[ QUOTE ]
    Will using the longer pitman arm create other stress issues on the box or other components?

[/ QUOTE ]

i also believe this will cause more strees to the box unless you're running a ram.

3. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

After doing a SEARCH ( /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif) for something else, I found a post by Wes on this matter. Sounds like the Skyjacker arm would be a good solution to keep the draglink angle down (as I wondered), and helps in framerail and engine crossmember clearance. Dr. Watson weighed in as well, but there was no addressing the stress issue. No hydraulic ram, would the steering box brace from ORD be sufficent to alleviate the stress issue, or are you thinking maybe a stress on the box itself?

4. captain chaos

captain chaos 1/2 ton status

somone chim in on this as i just got screwed on my order from 4whp and am looking at going with this 5.5" drop.
    i will have the ram.
    oh ya this is hijacked /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

dave