Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pitman arm for crossover

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cegusman, Feb 13, 2003.

1. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

What F /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gifRD pitman arm is used for crossover steering? What is the year and application?

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

There are also a few companies making crossover pitman arms for the stock 4 wheel drive box if you don't want to swap in a 2WD box and ford arm..

3. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I think it is the 79 Ford F150 4" dropped pitman arm.

Superlift SUP-1104

4. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I previously ran one from a late 70's, early 80's model Ford Van. It's a direct bolt on to the GM 2wd box and is correctly tapered for a GM 1/2 ton end. However if you want to run the beefier 1 ton ends then you'll need to get it retapered like I do.

I've found that I need more drop than that particular pitman can provide (which only gives 2" of drop), so I'm going with a Parts Mike pitman arm which gives a full 4" of drop and already comes tapered for GM 1ton ends.

The Superlift one suggested will work too.

Once we see the pitmans that BorregoK5 mentioned become available I think they are going to open up a new market with the crossover. There will no longer be a need to modify or replace the 4wd GM gear boxes. I just hope that they are offered with different length's of drop.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    There are also a few companies making crossover pitman arms for the stock 4 wheel drive box if you don't want to swap in a 2WD box and ford arm..

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> I've always wondered why there were no companies doing this. Can you give some details, please? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font color>

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

JKW Offroad is making them, from what I understand they will be out within the next month or so. I'm first in line to get one, I didn't want to swap out the 4wd box I have and like now!

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I'll have to look into that, I didn't really want to swap out my box either. Thanks for the tip!</font color>

8. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Is the 79 f150, Superlift, 4 inch drop pitman arm, Taperd for GM 1/2 ton, Draglink ends? and will it bolt directly onto the GM 2wd box?

i just want to make sure, cuz i dont want to get the wrong part and have to wait another week or so to send it back and get the correct one... thx.

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I'm using the Ford van pitman arm that Waxer mentioned. Cost me all of $6 and a 6 pack to a friend who has the correct reamer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

The 79 ford arm is tapered for the 1 ton ends i believe.