Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pitman arm puller isn't big enough to remove crossover steering pitman arm!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, May 18, 2003.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Pitman arm puller isn\'t big enough to remove crossover steering pitman arm!

I am trying to remove my superlift pitman arm. I have crossover steering. The pitman arm puller ins't big enough to slip over it, anyone have any ideas or where I can get a bigger one? Thanks!

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Re: Pitman arm puller isn\'t big enough to remove crossover steering pitman arm!

why dont you just beat it with a hammer, itll come off. i dont think you need a special pitman arm puller, Kinda like you dont need pickle forks to get your tie rod ends out....

3. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Re: Pitman arm puller isn\'t big enough to remove crossover steering pitman arm!

Hey,
    GO rent or buy a pitman arm puller from Autozone...I know they will fit over those arms.
    Blake

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've had luck using a 2-jaw gear puller, but they do make larger pitman arm pullers. Sounds like you have the one made for cars (and Jeeps). /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I have the biggest one, advance auto, pep girls, auto zone, napa and carquest have, they are all the same size. It just doesn't seem to fit over the arm.

6. Orange Crush

Orange Crush 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I took a saw and cut about an eigth of an inch of the inside edges of the jaws. Just a little gentle clearancing.You still might have to use the hammer to persuade it to go on all the way.Have done it a number of times and no problems yet. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

WD-40 + BFH + big f'in crowbar = pitman arm off. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j