Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pitman arm Question, can it be installed in any position?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 73k5blazer, May 31, 2005.

1. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I'm trying to hook up my steering after many years of downtime, and I got everything straight except the drag link won't adjust anymore to line up to the pitman arm. The steering gear is at high point, dead center at 1.75 turns between the 3.5 turns lock-lock and the flat spot comes up 12o'clock on the input shaft, just like the GM service manual says it should, so thats right. I've rolled the truck forward and it's tracking striaght to so wheels are straight ahead, I've set the toe to spec, and so I go to pop in my drag link, and it won't go any shorter to line up to the pitman arm. I installed that arm like 2 years ago, so I don't remember, does that pitman arm index on the sector shaft? Can you install it any position you want, or is it keyed? I asked because I know it's a bear to get off, so I thought I'd ask before screwing with it.

Last edited: May 31, 2005
  2. 73k5blazer

Nobody has an answer? I don't belive it!

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I'll look in the morning..

I have the steering box off my 74 K20 I junked out in my shop--I'll look and see--but if I remember right,the pitman arm only fits on one way,or the thru bolt wont go in...I think its "keyed" so it only fits right,or it wont go.. :thinking: I'll take a look and post back tomorrow... :crazy:

4. 73k5blazer

much obliged!

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

just for clarification, are you installing x-over steering or stock style stuff?

sounds like everything is a-ok with respect to how you have the steering box sector shaft aligned (centered between lock/lock) and the wheels turned straight, thats good too. Not sure why the draglink won't fit... is your rig 100% bone stock with respect to the suspension and steering components?

factory pitman or...?

its definitely keyed, unless its been modified or its aftermarket/custom.

j

6. 73k5blazer

Not a crossover, 2" lift springs, 2"drop pitman to match.
    It's keyed, that's what I wanted to know. Just couldn't remember since I put it on so long ago. I thought it would be though because I don't think I 'd have installed it otherwise until everything was ready to hookup.

That said, my only choice to correct this situation is
    1) hack down one end of my drag link, there' enough threads to do it,
    2) turn the box (steering wheel) 22degress to the left so it lines up, and lose some left turn capability. But i'd still have no adjustment left in there, unless I went more than 22degrees.

I like the cutting down one end of my link.

Thanks for the help!