Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pitman arm question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88K5Jimmy, Dec 16, 2002.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Need some advice on what to do for steering on the D60. We are not going to do crossover at this time but are going to put hydro-assist on the stock steering. We have a 2" drop pitman arm from another lift. It appears to be the same as the stock pitman arm, only with a 2" drop in it. Could we put the 2" pitman arm on or should we put a steering block on instead? The lift consists of 4" springs and zero rates.

Thanks

2. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

To answer your question: You will need the block. 2" is not enough correction for your 5" lift. Now to give unsolicited advice: Going to hydro assist before crossover is ass backwards. The hydraulic ram will not be able to help you steer at all when your suspension is flexed out and the drag link is in a bind. Even with only 5" of lift, crossover is by far the best option to steer a D60. The block is also a bad idea. I much prefer the dropped drag link, although if you do have the ram, it will take most of the stress off of the steering arm/ block studs.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

If I were you, and keeping the stock steering setup, I would go with the 2" drop pitman arm AND the 2.5" steering block.
    I would not get the drop drag link as I had one and the ends wore out too damn fast. These TRE's were not parts you could get at a parts store. They were Superlift parts and cost $50 per end. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif They just wore out way too fast for as less amount of driving time I put on them.
    The best drag links are the stock type. Just get brand new ends and an adjusting sleeve and be done with it.

Now if you are seriously considering the hydro-assist, I would mount the ram and lines on the tie rod and housing tube, much like you would with the crossover system. At least it will be there and in the proper location and ready for when you do the crossover someday. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

Where did you get the 2" drop Pitman Arm? I need EXACTLY that part and I can't find it in the parts catalog. Thanks for your help.

5. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

skyjacker makes a 2 inch drop pitman arm /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

Thanks! I called Summit and they gave me a part number of "CA-50" for the skyjacker 2" drop Pitman arm. . I paid $89.95 and it will be here Thursday.

7. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

FWIW, I think there was a post in the garage giving part #'s for replacement ends from Moog