Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pitman Arm Removal?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by outsider223, Aug 7, 2002.

1. outsider223

outsider223 1/2 ton status

Any suggestions for removing a stock pitman arm? I don't have easy access to a torch. Someone told me to use a chisel to try and pull the taper wedge out. That didn't work. So far everything else i've removed has been siezed pretty bad.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You need a BIG pitman arm puller. Those suckers are put on TIGHT at the factory and then have years of rust to make them fit even tighter. I've broken pullers trying to get pitman arms off before. Many parts stores have tools that they'll loan you. Check around your area. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Heat it up with a blow torch and then soak it down the cone washers with PB BLASTER. The heat will suck it down into the threads then use a bigger hammer.
    I have had mine off then had to take it off again. Figured it's been off in the last couple years should be ok. My bud and I pounded on the booger for over an hour and a half with a 5lb sledge before it finnaly poped loose. He had a chisle trying to tap up on one side and I was waling on the other side with the 5lb. Once you get it to pop up a little tap it back down and you should be able to work the cone washers out. Just don't screw up the threads on the studs. If you mess up the machined surfaces any be sure to take a file and smooth it out before installing the arm again. If it's not smooth the new arm may not seat and work loose.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Wait are you talking the arm on the box or the arm on the Knuckle? If it's the box then rent a puller. The bolt has to be romoved. the shaft is notched.
    Boy I should read before I type. So use to people having problems with the Steering arm on the knuckle.

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

What I've done, even worked on the old KW big rig I had, is take the bolt out and pound a cold chisel into the slot to spread it a little and the arm slides right off. It helps to soak it a while with some penertrating oil. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

6. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure you are referring to the steering arm (the "redneck boomerang" on the knuckle). Take the bolts off (duh), hit it repeatedly with a big hammer (commonly referred to as a BFH). When one tapered wedge lock starts to back out, grab it with vice grips with the jaws on the splits on the wedge lock so that you don't squeeze it back tighter and twist/jiggle/pull it out. Then beat on it again untill the next one starts to back out. Continue this process until all three are out.