Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pitman arm

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by schmuck, Feb 7, 2003.

1. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

i recently brought my truck in to have my front end aligned and they guy at the shop told me my pitman arm is bad i have to wonder can that be true isnt it just a piece of steel with 2 holes in it one side connects to the gear box and the other to the drag link right so wouldnt it be the drag link thats bad thanxs for any help my steering is real bad every time i go wheeling the steering wheel is in a different position when im through plus last night i was out driving in the rain and the truck keept on trying to go straight when i was trying to turn(it was like it was only riding on the out side of the tread and the rear wheels were just pushing foward) plus when i was going straight the truck wanted to turn from every little rut in the road

2. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

Definitely sounds like something to get resolved! Here in Massachusetts, you'll get failed on a safety inspection if there is virtually any movement (other than draglink rotation) in the steering mechanism. I think it's like 1/8" movement to fail. Anyway, the pitman should be easy enough to check. If it isn't obvious upon casual inspection, pull off the pitman and inspect the teeth and the splines on the steering shaft.

Last thing you need is your steering going while doing 80 across the Causeway!

Heres a link to a steering inspection guideline, it's for a 4 runner but its generally applicable.
    http://net-impress.com/4runner/cd/STEERIN5.PDF

You live in N.O. proper? Or one of the 'burbs?

John
    Who was born in Port Sulphur, LA and has lived in Belle Chasse, Gretna and Gonzales.

3. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

how do you know about the Causeway i will check it as soon as its light but if the bolt is tight i dont see how it could be bad

4. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

i also recently bent my sway bar i doubt that is the problem but just in case im going to beat it back in shap and check my tire pressure i dont belive there even

5. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

I think your question was aimed at "could the mechanic be talking about the drag link when he said pitman arm?" and the answer I think is yes. There's a lot of confusion on steering components. The first thing I replaced on my 75 was both ends of the drag link. You have the same problem, I bet. The pitman arm is pretty fool-proof and probably is fine.

If you have a lifted truck, you may want to install a dropped pitman arm to bring the drag link back to a horizonatal attitude. This helped my steering a lot. Also the ball joints will contribute to steering problems if they are bad.

Have someone take a look under your truck while you slowly turn the steering wheel and you will see your problem right away.

Good luck

6. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

To check the pitman arm where it attachs to the selector shaft, spray some soapy water on it and have someone turn the wheel back and forth. If you see bubles there then its loose. Got dinged in the scales in my pete that way. To fix mine took about 1/2 turn on the bolt that secures it to the shaft. You couldn't see the movement till they sprayed it with the soapy water mix.

7. TwoCrowsDesign

I've been over that causeway more times than I can count. That has to be the longest 24 miles on earth.

I was born and raised in Louisiana and lived some in southeast Texas, so any stretch of I-10 between Houston and New Orleans is pretty familiar.

John

8. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

I'm a John Ehret H.S. graduate. Spent a few years on the West Bank. Spent many years in Houston before moving to Omaha. I know I-10 from Houston to Pensacola pretty well. Also lived in Milford, Mass. My oldest little girl was born in Framingham Union, Hospital. Looks like you and I are both a long way from some good boudin or a crawfish dinner.

9. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

This seems to be my general response for sloppy steering problems: it could be possible that you broke a spring centering pin /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. Have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth (motor running) and watch to see if the front axle moves back and forth on the springs. If it does, replace the center pin (I would either use a 3/8'' grade 8 bolt or drill out the pack to accept a 7/16 pin /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif)

10. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Lots of us like to travel.Chesapeak bridge/tunnel is cool too and only longer one i've found is Key West.It's a rush when the waters choppy. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

The old hwy 13. They have added a second bridge so it's no longer a 2 laner. I'm not sure if they have finished the two tunnels though. Still a $10 toll though(one way).

12. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

dose the 10bolt on an 85 have adjustable ball joints and if so how do you adjust them

13. TwoCrowsDesign

Most of my Dad's family is in Port Sulphur, LA, also where I was born. I've got some in-laws that are Boudreauxs and Thibodeauxs. These folk are right out of a Justin Wilson tale. Fishing and trawling for a living, having big backyard shrimp boils and fish fries. Whole different culture down in that part of Louisiana.

John

14. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

yep you know i was born and raised down here and i still dont eat seafood

15. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Thats happened to me and man was it scarry, the axle moved on the springs untill it hit the clamp and then started steering, ...
    At first I just aligned it and tightened the U bolts but later I took it out and replaced the pin.