Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pitman Shaft Seal Removal!!! NEW QUESTION

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by willyswanter, May 11, 2004.

1. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ok, I got the first dust seal out and then the snap ring off, the washer and last seal are still in there on the sector shaft in the box. How do I get it out??? I tried using a pic to grab it but thats not working since it's metal and I tried starting the truck to let the pressure blow it out but nothing....

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

Re: Pitman Shaft Seal Removal!!!

try a magnet /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

Is the sector shaft still in the box? If so, remove it and you can push the seals down and out.

4. willyswanter

[darn] that, the box is in the truck and the hoses are hooked up, it's a 5 hour ordeal to remove my box and I'm not going to let one fricken seal make me do that...

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Five hours to remove a steering box?

You can remove the sector shaft without removing the box I would think.

6. willyswanter

Lol, you haven't seen my truck... The box is mounted on the inside of the frame in the 88+ trucks, and I have my 2nd ps pump right above it with all it's lines running out above the box... Then theres the cooler and skid plate and filter in front of the box... Basically I have to take the left side accessories off of my engine and everything from the crossmember forward to get it out. Aint fun yo.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Well, that sucks, but at least your steering box is and always has been thoughly attached to your frame as a result.

I knew you had some funky accessories going on up there, but damn, 5 hours for a p/s box would suck!!

8. willyswanter

My engine compartment is so packed it took me 30 minutes to find a place big enough to mount the little ARB solenoid /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. willyswanter

Ok, so I said screw it and took the box out of the truck, only took 2 hours and 58 minutes this time, must be getting better at this eh? Anyway, I pulled the sector shaft out and knocked the seal right out and put new seals in it. Now my question is, is the little steel plate that goes between the upper sector shaft plate, one with 4 bolts and adjustment nut, and the housing replaceable? It has a rubber inner ring that is the seal between the two so I assume you need to replace it when putting it back together but I've looked at 7 seal kits today and none have that seal or plate. I ordered another seal kit that will be at the parts house at 5 tonight but I doubt it has it either. Do I just throw it back together with the one thats there? It's only 2 months old...

10. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

On the older boxes, yes. I have one if you need it. I could put it in the mail. Or, call me and I will give the Kragen part no. of a kit that has one in it. Estebone has my number.

11. willyswanter

All taken care of but thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The diagram showed an o-ring but my box definately doesn't use that, it just has a steel plate/shim with a rubber ring around inside and it was in great shape and it worked just dandy, no leaks, the truck is on the move again! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

12. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    All taken care of but thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The diagram showed an o-ring but my box definately doesn't use that, it just has a steel plate/shim with a rubber ring around inside and it was in great shape and it worked just dandy, no leaks, the truck is on the move again! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If want to break it again, just head to the the Hammers. Your truck seems to be scared of that place!!

13. xflatrater

xflatrater Registered Member

FYI next time remove the Pit arm and snap ring and start the truck crank to full lock and the power steering pressure will blow out the seal.[full lock is the key to making it work]..tap the new one on and your done 30 min. tops.

14. willyswanter

Thats exactly what I did and it didn't budge... When I pulled the sector shaft out I had to go nuts on that thing with chisel and hammer, seal busted in 3 pieces before it came out...