Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pivot point is needed..... Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hawglet, Dec 2, 2003.

1. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

Okay this is the story, I've got a plan for a bumper/swing-away tire carrier that I am going to start building in about a week, maybe two at the pace I have been moving in!!! I don't want to spend a ton of money, nor do I want something that looks like sh!t or doesn't function well. Therefore, I don't want to use just a small piece of pipe and a bolt for the carrier pivot. I have designed it on paper to carry up to a 38-inch spare tire. I would like to have the carrier mounted on some sort of a grease able bearing pivot that has a good seal. I've heard all kind of methods around here about this but none of which really have appealed too much to me yet.... I am wanting input on designs with good explanation, not the standard "dude, use a pipe and bolt and post pics", which tends to be so prevalent anymore or if someone knows of a manufacturer that sells a good pivot that would suffice, probably. Thank a ton for the (thoughtful) input people. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

well i was thinking...and this isnt really a specific manufacturer, but have you ever seen the really large casters that have like a 1.5" diameter on the shaft they mount on and the shaft they mount on is like 4 or 5" long? its hard to explain and i wish i could remember what i saw them on, but it was something industrial, you could cut the wheel off and use that as the pivot point and build off of it? ill try a websearch for a pic if i can find one..

heres one...the basic idea i was talking about..
    [​IMG]
    and another.. [​IMG]

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

send a PM to kidjethro. he makes (made?) the part your looking for.

4. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I've seen guys use a parts from a small trailer axle for this before. Looks like the caster portions mentioned above but heavier duty.
    I think it's usually made from the spindle with a custom outer sleeve built for the bearings.

Yeah here, rockstomper sells them: Spindle hinge /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

well ill be damned if thats not exactly what i was talking about..

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

7. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

Now this is an idea, my grandmother is just putting the mower away for the winter. A Dixon mower with those swivel wheels up front. Nothing on that has seen bad whether yet as it is only a few years old and always in the barn when not used. I'll cut one off before I put it away for her tonight!!! HAHAHA No really, Thanks, I think that I may be able to get something of this sort at a local farm supply store.

Still open for ideas people!!!

8. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

I will probably go with this design...And from 4x4 Iron because they support the board and as a bonus they are $5.00 cheaper than the Rockstomper. Price doesn't really matter, since that si the only expense I have going into this project, at least out of my pocket. Dad is buying all of the steel for me for a portion of my Christmas gift, as well as a much needed Hi-Lift. One hell of a christmas gift!!HUH... Thanks guys, I really appreicate it. I will post a couple of pics when finished with it, probably around the 1st of the year, maybe later as we are trying to do a resto. on a '49 panel in the garage as well. Not sure when I will have the time or space to get to it!!!