Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

place to go shooting around Vancouver...

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by jekbrown, Mar 9, 2004.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

hey gang, I want to go shoot some handguns/shottys/rifles some place in the boonies near Vancouver, WA. Anyone know of any good places to go? None of the ranges i go to allow the kind of shooting i want to do, and range fees can be a killer... I'd rather go shoot in the boonies for free. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I dont wanna just go blasting away any old place... gotta be safe.

so.... anyone know of a good spot?

j

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

'Fumes has a few acres doesnt he? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

only shot guns out here...But I can take J out to Larch Mnt..... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Yep, head up to the rock quarry on Larch. There's a couple good little hill climbs in there too! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. jekbrown

i posted the same Q on obh and a guy mentioned larch mountain too...which begs the question... where the hell is larch mt? lol!!! Never been there or even heard of it... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif need some specific directions or something, i get lost easy. lol! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I think they're talking about the Larch Mt over here by Corbett. Basically off the Crown Point Highway. Directions I can get for you from my Gorge hiking book........... /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Mapquest,Look to the east, see those hills with snow on em... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifTheir making it so you can't shoot up there anymore so you have to go way up past the honor camp, oh and don't pick up any hitch hikers.... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

8. jekbrown

ok, i used mapquest. to get "up past honor camp" will I need my K5 or will a 2wd ranger make it up there? lol! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Probablly the Blazer right now, but I couldn't say for sure... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

10. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ok, i used mapquest. to get "up past honor camp" will I need my K5 or will a 2wd ranger make it up there? lol! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

[/ QUOTE ]

they are talking about the washington side.
    I was up there during christmas and all the damn roads are paved now and there are houses everywhere /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif what the hell.
    if you are going to be shooting up there make sure you are a long ways from the honor camp my uncle is a game warden there and he will nail your ass if you are anywhere on the west side of larch because of all the new homes. this area is still in the battle ground hunting unit and you are only allowed to fire shot guns up there.
    your best bet would be to go up to grouse vista area on the other side of larch or silverstar mntn.

although people still do shoot up there it is not legal and I wouldnt want to get busted.
    someone mentioned the gravel pit on larch ? are you talking about by the gate ?

11. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    someone mentioned the gravel pit on larch? are you talking about by the gate ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I was a little confuddled when I typed that /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. I meant the gravel pit up in the yacolt burn (nowhere near houses). It's actually on Livingston Mountain up past the ORV park.

Jek-I'll get the directions for you in a few minutes, and yes, your dad's lil' ranger should make it up there just fine. It's not too far up in elevation to be in the snow and the roads are somewhat maintained. A few chuck holes, but nothing too serious. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    someone mentioned the gravel pit on larch? are you talking about by the gate ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I was a little confuddled when I typed that /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. I meant the gravel pit up in the yacolt burn (nowhere near houses). It's actually on Livingston Mountain up past the ORV park.

Jek-I'll get the directions for you in a few minutes, and yes, your dad's lil' ranger should make it up there just fine. It's not too far up in elevation to be in the snow and the roads are somewhat maintained. A few chuck holes, but nothing too serious. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

theres an orv park on livingston mntn ?
    where at.
    that would be a close spot to where I am moving to . is it any good.

13. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

I propose you target practice around my X-wifes house /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

14. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Yup, It's a cool place to ride and wheel! Here are the directions to it.

WARNING:
    Buy a map.
    Map indicates road closures via gates during winter months. Unknown if currently open.

500 E to Fern Praire
    L on NE 19th St. for 0.5 mi.
    L on NE 292nd Ave for 2.4 mi.
    R on NE Ireland for 0.4 mi.
    L on NE Lessard Rd for 3.7 mi.
    Enter Jones Creek ORV Park.
    Take L1600 Rd to L1500 Rd.
    Left on L1500 Rd.

Somewhere as you are going up hill look for a road that cuts back on the left side.

Gravel Pit.

I might head up there this wekend if anyone wants to go check it out. I ususally head out from my place early (by 8 a.m.) and don't get back till 1-2 p.m. at the earliest.

Let me know if you wanna go! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

15. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

WARNING:
    Buy a map.
    Map indicates road closures via gates during winter months. Unknown if currently open.

500 E to Fern Praire
    Left on L1500 Rd.

Somewhere as you are going up hill look for a road that cuts back on the left side.

Gravel Pit.

I might head up there this wekend if anyone wants to go check it out. I ususally head out from my place early (by 8 a.m.) and don't get back till 1-2 p.m. at the earliest.

[/ QUOTE ]

that riding area has been there forever I was just up there riding last christmas if you keep going up the L1500 road you are talking about it turns into jackson pass on larch mountain.
    if you keep going accross jackson pass you will pass the gate that goes up to the tower. and just below the gate is the old gravel pit where a lot of people from vancouver area used to have huge parties.
    this riding area you are talking about is still considered to be the jones creek ohv area. I thought you were talking about something new that I didnt know about.
    but it is fun to ride up there when its wet and muddy. we should get together this summer and go riding.

16. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

WARNING:
    Buy a map.

500 E to Fern Praire
    Left on L1500 Rd.

Gravel Pit.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh and I know a much faster way to get up there if you are interested /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

we normally park at my friends house on livingston mountain then ride trails from his house over to jones creek or the top of larch and over to silverstar mntn.

christmas time we did the ride over larch and up to silverstar but couldnt get back up over larch because the snow got so deep that day so we had to ride the main road all the way around the mountain and past the honor camp 45 miles now thats a long cold ride. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

17. jekbrown

cool, I'll have to check it out. Not so sure about shooting high vel rifle ammo into rocks... ricochets? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif shottys and handguns are one thing, but .223 sometimes does wacky stuff when it starts to bounce around. lol! I guess I could check it out one day and see what I think. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif This weekend I'm booked, but maybe nextweekend my gf would go up there with me to shoot... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j