Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

place to put spare tire?????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TIGHTWORK82 K5, Aug 11, 2002.

1. TIGHTWORK82 K5

TIGHTWORK82 K5 1/2 ton status

I put in a nice sound system in the back of the blazer and I dont want the spare back there no more. is there any alternate mounts? like maybe under the truck. I dont have any holes for an outside tire mount is that a big deal to install? any suggestions thanks! /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

dude,
    if ya want a cheap alternative and ya have a hide-a-hitch, check out jc whitney. i believe it is in the jeep section /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif , but the have an accessorey that plugs into your reciever that holds a spare. thats what i have when i choose to use it. hell, when your tire is on and you have a nice cover on it, no body can tell from the rear its not the factory swing away-unless you go looking. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    You would not want it underneath...that's where your fuel tank is.You can do what "big d" says but I don't think it folds down,so getting the tailgate to open would be a big deal.I'd go with an good aftermarket swing-a-way carrier,as long as the tire is 33" or smaller.Anything larger and it's too much weight and will cracked the body mounts.Do a search and look for tire carriers.Mike

4. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

dude,
    there is a rear swing away tire carrier for sale in the "for sale " forum. i believe uglychevy383 has it. check it out. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. MEM

MEM Registered Member

You can mount a rack on top of the hard top and put the spare up there, that is if you can lift it up there. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

6. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Go retro, front bumper mount. When I was a little kid (fifteen or so years ago) it was pretty common to see pickups and especially K5s with a beefy MT on the front bumper. It's starting to come back, but I think it's just so the posers can show off the fact that they bought five 589's.

7. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I checked out your pics and it looks like you have 35s. I would NOT recommend swinging your spare off the side using a factory carrier. It WILL bust up the 1/4 panel from bouncing around. I would also not put it on the roof unless you spread the load out pretty good. The factory roof racks are only rated at 200 lbs I think. And they are mounted at decent points on the roof over the internal frame.

Go w/ the hitch carrier, make up a rear bumper w/ carrier like a bunch here have done, or my method......Hope you never get a flat and dont carry a spare. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Then again I dont even have a spare. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

8. MEM

MEM Registered Member

BTW, this gets me to thinking, what is everyone out there using for a jack? Hi-Lift jacks have the height, but where do you attach it? As for a bottle jack, I wouldn't want to use it unless I'm on really even ground and that's if you can get one that extends long enough to jack up a lifted vehicle. A floor jack would be good but it would take up alot of cargo space.

9. Pure Insanity

Attatch it anywhere you can basicly. To the side wall of the bed, to the spare tire carrier, bumper. A bottle jack would be good to have for changing a tire given how much axles will droop when lifted from the frame. I helped my buddy pull a 40 off his truck yrs ago in my driveway. We had to block up the Hi Lift quite a bit before we finally got the rear tires off the ground. It was a major PITA to do. He bought a bottle jack while we in town having his flat fixed. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif The Hi Lift was still used much more frequently than the bottle jack, but everytime someone had a flat they were glad he carried it.

10. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Bottle jack to change flat (was Re: place to put spare tire?????)

Why not just jack the axle up? Hard as hell off-road on a camper, but in the driveway I just bottle-jack the axle up 'fore I put a jackstand down there ... oftentimes easier than rolling the hydraulic floor jack out there.

Then again, my driveway is getting more and more full as of late... LOL.

11. Pure Insanity

Not sure if your referring to me but its a bit hard to get a 48" tall Hi Lift under the bed of a rig. Thats why he picked up the bottle jack while we were out.

12. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

My bad, I was unclear. I should said ... fixing several typos:

Why not just bottle-jack using the axle as the jack point? Hard as hell off-road or off camber, but in the driveway I just bottle-jack the axle up 'fore I put a jackstand down there ...
    oftentimes easier than rolling the hydraulic floor jack out there.

13. Pure Insanity

OK that makes more sense. LOL!

Actually my driveway was dirt too, so it wasnt a real good idea at all to do what we had to. But we were about 10 miles from town and a 40 takes a BUUUNCH of fix a flat to air up. Trust me, I know. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Using the bottle jack we got while in town made it a bunch more stable taking it down after we got the rim and tire back on. Stacking blocks and leaving it up on the Hi Lift was spooky while we went into town. We fully expected to find it had fallen when we got back. The Hi Lift was fully extended, and was blocked up about a foot or better to get the tire off the ground to remove it. At least we remembered to chock the front tires.

14. TIGHTWORK82 K5

TIGHTWORK82 K5 1/2 ton status

right on guys thanks for the info. i think i will buy a new rim and 35" tire and clean it up and put it in the back. it will cover up the amp but its protected by plexi glass. got a flashing neon that will look cool shinning through a polished rim down there.

15. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

mount it flat on the hood...land rover style!

16. Pure Insanity

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    got a flashing neon that will look cool shinning through a polished rim down there.

[/ QUOTE ] I gotta say that would look kool! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Hey Tightwork, you up for a ride anytime soon. Nothing radical, just a few of us from here in cent. Fla meeting up to ride Richloam and Croom. Itll be pretty melow, more or less a ride in the woods type thing. Let me know.

17. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author