Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

placed an order today..thanks

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Chaz88K5, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

Placed another order today with ORD...as usual very help full and friendly..thanks alot /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

what did you buy me this time man?
    grant /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i ordered the weld on steering brace...since last weekend the box ripped threw my frame on the rubicon...dident make it more than 300 yards in before it broke...but i am sure it was on its way long before i even thought about tryin the con...it was just the final hit that it needed to come off /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

4. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

You gonna get the bolt in one too to get rid of that frame flexing you were talking about?

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Well, Geez.....I suppose you'll be able to do ALL the things you've been meaning to do now....thanks to stupid DMV! /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

Kind of a lousy way to get "quality time" with the K5, but I suppose you have to make the best of it.

Hey.....didja ever get that RTI ramp built, or is that on your "list" too now???

6. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i have the bolt on brace already...

7. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

the ramp is on my todo list...i have been so busy the last 2 months tryin to get ready for the con and doin other things...but now i have all kinds of time on the weekends...so looks like that project should be starting rather quickly /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif well that is once i get my door fixed and frame fixed

8. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    i have the bolt on brace already...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Chaz was it installed when you ripped the steering box from the frame? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

9. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

nope...i put it in my center console about a year ago..thinkin that would take care of the steering box problem...but i guess it dident work /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif ..now really...yea it was installed...when talkin to steven on the phone he was sayin that the bolt on kit will not always save the box if you are doin anything more than a mall cruzer..not exactly in thos words but thats want i took from it...so if you are doin anything remotly hard then it might be wise to do the weld on kit just for the added security..now if i do end up loosing my licence for longer than october 30th then i will be takin the whole front clip off my truck and goin to start building a heavy duty cross memeber to keep the frame rails from flexing soo much...if you open up the hood and watch both frame rails they are both twisting a good inch or better...my thinking is they shoudlent be doin that...at least not that much..seems like it would be puttin alot of unneeded stress on alot of parts and the body...my body is starting to crack up prety bad around the the doors..the welds are breakin apart and in one spot i had a 1/4 inch gap...but just took some self taping screwed and screwed it back together for now..i dident want to mess up the paint tryin to weld it back...but eventuly i will weld it when the paint isent as much of an issue anymore...if i keep wheelin it like i do i would give the paint another year before i really dont care anymore /forums/images/icons/grin.gif i need to start workin on the hydro assest too..i am goin to try to fab up most of the kit myself...have lots of sources for rams and have all the fittings and a crimper for the fitting at our shop already..so i think i should be able to do it retilivly (spelling) cheep...well anyway enough of my rambeling...back to surfin the net untill i can get a ride home from work /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif anyone in downtown stockton ca goin twards lodi in a few mins...i sure could use a ride /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

10. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

It's important that all the pieces be in there, I ran mine without the front clip since I was lazy and it was the old style where you had to drill the hole to put it in, and....ripped the box off the frame. It came loose at the front upper bolt (where the small clip goes) and from there it snapped bolts and ears off the box till it was no longer attached to the frame. It actually pulled the steel sleeve totally through the frame in the one location. The back bolts that had the brace installed just broke bolts or broke the ears off the box.
    So yes, if you're going to be getting really nasty with it, I recommend the weld on kit to thicken the material up, and the bolt in kit to keep it from flexing.

Chaz, look at running a cage in the truck all the way to the frame. I was starting to get the same problems with the body (cracks and I pulled the front body mount bracket apart) so I caged it and it basically solved the problem. I tied into the nerf bar under the driver's feet, then behind the front seats I went to the frame and to the nerf bar, then at the very back of the truck I went to the frame via the bumper. Didn't do anything up front initially and it still made a HUGE difference.

11. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

yea a cage is what i want to do...if i do end up loosing my licence for a year (find out october 30th) i am plannin on takin it down to the frame and boxin that in...and also installing a cage..defently need to do the cage..the body is really startin to go bad in a few spots /forums/images/icons/grin.gif