Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Plan B Fuel System

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by AzzKicker, Nov 16, 2002.

1. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

As per this thread http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=deisel&Number=574796&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

I'm debating on a backup plan. How would I go about installing a electrical Fuel Pump on my 6.2? I want to bypass the Mechanical one incase what I do tomorrow doesnt work.

Something is wrong with the fuel delivery system in my truck. I think its something else and not the air in fuel. Why i say this, because no fuel is being pumped by mechanical pump, and thats because I installed a new one. So that leaves something to be wrong between my TANK's and the mechanical Pump. No fuel is being pumped into filters, nothing /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif this is very frustrating.

Is there a chance that a TANK switch blew or something, do thay have a fuse that may go out or what?

So what I plan to do as a backup is Remove the second TANK completeley, take out switch everything!! Then with the original tank, i want to intall a Electric Fuel Pump and have the hose go directly to the filter. Is this a good idea or no?

2. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

HALT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you line up the pushrod when you changed the pump!!!! I had to change mine twice cause when I put it in the first time, the rod slipped down from the lever and sat against the plate that you bolt the pump to!!!!! Check the pushrod first before you go removing tanks!!!! I'm not saying that putting in an electrical pump instead of a mechanical is bad, but don't remove the tank!!!

Just put a cover plate over the mechanical spot(IF it is really bad) and then put an inline electrical pump right behind where the mechanical one was! Some people run them in series so that if the mechanical goes they can use the electrical, that's over kill if you ask me! One is enough, if you're going to switch, go all the way! Also, if the pump does start working, or if you change to an expensive electrical one, you still might have a hole in your line which will not help a thing!!!!!! Hope this helps!

3. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

Oh god I hope the pushrod was aligned right, How would I tell? I mean that damn PUMP was the most pain in the arse thing I've ever had to install!!! How do you put the push rod back in place?

4. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

If I go the electrical pump route, is there anything else I need for it. Will it come with wiring, or am I on my own in that departmen. WHat switches it one, etc.

5. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Put some grease on it and it should hold it in place!

6. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

Another Update:

I got the ROD Out and it appears to be broken on one end. How it broke I have no idea. Screw it, what I'm gonna do is just put an electric fuel pump. I cant stand taking on and off this manual Piece of Shyt. It literally takes me like 1hr to put back just fiddling around with a wrench and wratchet.

So I removed the push rod, and I'm going to put a block off plate and just run an electric fuel pump back where the tank is. At lease if it goes out it easy to replace and easier to diagnose.