Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Plane trip to Orlando, Florida

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CyberSniper, Mar 19, 2006.

1. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

So... I'm going to Walt Disney World Resort today at 12pm ET. I haven't been on an airplane in longer than I can remember. We're talking somewhere in the mid 90s. Long before airport security through obscurity.

So, now that it's time to go I'm getting skeered. It wouldn't even phase me if I was going with someone but I'm going by myself.

I'm mostly skeered of the baggage part (I have a 12x12x24 bag and a laptop case) and the swapping planes part. I've never been on a real jet before, just crickets that hop from one piddly dink airport to the next.

2. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Don't sweat it, it's not a big deal. Do the laptop as a carry-on just in case, however.

Some terminals are anal about security and others are super lax on it. Flew out of Denver, didn't get I.D.ed or anything, but when I was making my return trip out of Oakland I think the lady was about ready to cavity search me.

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ah, its like flying in your living room... :wink1:

Thats what i told the stewardess the first time I was on a 727.. I had grown up flying in my neighbors Cesna.. Where turbulence is turbulence, going up and down like 30'...

Haven't flown since the late 80's so i have no clue on security..

4. CyberSniper

It's real hard leaving my leatherman tool home. I've been taking it everywhere with me since 7th grade... or roughly 12 years.

I'm going from podunville (Houghton County Airport) in a Saab then going to Minneappolis on some giant aircraft (I forget) with no assigned seating then to Orlando.

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I wouldnt even bother with Disney world, go directly to universal and islands of adventure, go ride the hulk and dueling dragons repeatedly all day long...

6. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

orlando was a nice airport, jsut make sure to follow the crowd to the monorail or you will get stuck in a satellite terminal for 15 mins until another flight lands (trust me on this one)

7. CyberSniper

Well, almost twelve hours after leaving my home I'm finally in my hotel room. The trip from Houghton to MNPLS was like less than an hour and a half. The trip from MNPLS to Orlando was like two and a half hours. I left at 6:20 ET and arrive at 8:35ET. I then waited an hour and a half for my scheduled shuttle that "should be here in 40 minutes or less". Then it took another hour before he finally got me to the Hilton.

The only thing that went smooth was the checking into the hotel. It took like 90 seconds.

That goddamn SAAB piece of **** turboprop not working airlines I rode in was like an ant being inside the game Operation with a blind quadripleg on meth playing it. It vibrated so bad that my feet fell asleep.

The jet from the boondocks to Orlando was quiet enough that you could sortof talk to each other over the engines. However, I felt like a giant trying to fit in a kindergartener's desk.

8. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    So you made it ok I guess?
    I could have helped you with the airline stuff if I had been on-line.
    I fly all the time. I've been to Disney several times too so if you have
    any questions, I might be able to help. Have a good time.
    I'll be in Fl. next month. Oh, BTW, it's snowing here so enjoy.
    If you get a chance, see if they have any exit rows available on the way
    back when you check in. They are a little easier on the legs.

9. CyberSniper

I'm staying in the Hilton inside the Resort... the goddamn windows don't open and it smells like a Wisconsin whore's cooter in here. Tomorrow I have to find a place to buy some tools so I can get the window open.

Anyway, is there a place that I can walk to in order to find something to eat? They want $14 for a bag of potato chips. I'm skeered to open the dry bar. I don't have to pay for any of it but for Pete's sake all I want is a pop and some fast food.

My typing skills certainly have hit the ****ter since using this laptop. The fact that the "desk" is at armpit height and I'm trying to type on the laptop keyboard isn't helping.

10. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

For the love of all things holy dood if you have no small cildren with you don't even bother with the big D, go do as I told you even if you have small kids, cause they probably don't get the whole Mickey thing anyhow

11. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Are you on vacation?
    It doesn't sound like it to me.
    I don't know where in Orlando you are but since you have a laptop,
    you might just search on mapquest.com for a location of food you want.
    There should be something close I think. Try to enjoy yourself.

12. CyberSniper

I'm at the Hilton in the Walt Disney World Resort. I'm here for a conference.

I walked as far as "Downtown Disney" and found nothing. So I came back here and stared at the $14 potato chips and the $4.75 2 liters of pop.

I almost asked if the 2 Liters came with a complimentary blowjob.

I should've gotten a rental car.

13. CyberSniper

I've never seen so much silicone and rice.

Twas 12 degrees when I left home... supposed to reach 89 here today.

My first class is at noon thirty so I'm going to hoof it to Downtown Disney and see if I can find some grub.

It's pretty neat to see 15 year old cars with no rust. In 15 years where I live Toyotas have returned to mother nature.

14. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Damn dude you sound kind of bitter about the trip lol.

I flew to South Africa last summer and I flew from Corpus Christi, Texas, to Houston, to Chicago, to London, to Johannesburg. 30 hours of flying total, each way.

The Corpus Airport is a joke, it has 6 ****ing terminals and security gaurds with enough ego to make a 2 year old shake in their onezee.

Houston, nothing special but much larger. Security was a pain in the ass there. The stupid airline made us recheck all out baggage including the guns, that was fun.

Chicago was ok, it sucked waiting in line at customs but it was prety painless.

London was neat, we flew through Heathrow both times and this was the only airport on the trip where my steel toe boots didnt set off the metal detectors, that was comforting...

Johannasburg, well it was comparable to what I imagine most 3rd world countries are like. If you pay (bribe, tip, whatever you want to call it) the aboriginies they are nice, we did not know this coming in, but going out we sure as hell did.

15. CyberSniper

I guess I am kind of bitter. I think the plane trip made it this way. Then the shuttle ride that took 2:15 to go 15 miles.

I'm stuck in WDWR, the conference has been incredibly disappointing, and Disney isn't very exciting either. It was in the mid 80s yesterday and it's in the mid 80s right now. The outdoors always smells like sewage because the water table is like 2' below the surface so there are stagnant pools of water everywhere. There is nothing within walking distance of the WDWR except a Hess gas station.

I have basic cable TV in my room that costs $165/night. None of the wall light switches actually turns lights on or off. You must go to the 6 individual lamps to turn lights on and off. This is in the Hilton inside WDWR. When I got here they had the entire pool area blocked off.

Nothing in Disney Downtown opens before 11am besides McDonald's. Luckily, my hotel is the closest to it so it's a short walk (about 15 minutes).

I'm here by myself. There are like 10 people at this conference under 30 so it's not like I have anything in common with these people. Most of them have children my age. It wouldn't be bad if I wasn't here by myself. Or if I had gotten a car.

The mexicans must work for like pennies here though. I've never seen so much landscaping in my entire life. Even the dead animal filled holding pools are landscaped. The fact that there is like a neverending growing season probably helps but there is still a lot of landscaping going on. Just don't look too close though.

Everyone that I know that lives in Florida lives a long ways from here so that's not really an option either. Basically, I'm in class 8:30 to 5:30 every day and then I leave early on Friday. Well, I'm supposed to be picked up at 2pm by Mears Transportation but we'll see if that actually happens.

I think in the future I'll try to find a conference in Las Vegas or something. At least there I can go stare at some eye candy and get plastered for cheap. Maybe there would be reliable internet access there as well. Here it is very intermittent.

Every local girl (older than 17) here I've seen has horrible skin.. and lots of plastic surgery... unless they're actually working then they don't speak english. You can always spot the locals. Either they have a lot of clothes on because they're cold (if it gets below 70) or they've got barely any clothes on and have a lot of skin showing. Now while they have nice bodies they almost always have horrible skin (wrinkles, sun damage, gatorskin, raccoon eyes, et cetera). The local girls tend to travel in packs and yell obsceneties at tourists and stuff. Even old fat women have silicone. I wish I'd brought my USB cable, I'd prove it to you. haha.

The odd thing is... except for the packs of highschool girls... every person I've been in contact with has been incredibly nice. Even the security people and gas station attendants. Funny thing about the packs of highschool girls is that the security people follow them all over.

16. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

17. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I hate travelling unless I can drive there and bring my own "personal space" with me. We just got done with an airline trip... with all the flights and security checks and driving on top of that, it took us just over 30 hours total from point of departure to home. Going over was like 34 hours.

At least we had a 747 for the majority of the flights and personal touch screen monitors for each seat so I could watch altitude and speed and distance and all that.

I hate little dinky planes. And I hate how long it takes to get through major airports onto large flights.

Hope your return trip goes well. I'm sure you'll be glad when you can go home.

18. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

Too bad I didnt see this sooner, cause I was just in Orlando this past weekend. The weather sure was nice... You should have gone to Universal... Resorts there are much nicer, with WAY more to do for more reasonable prices over there. Maybe next time!

19. CyberSniper

so... it's now Thursday.

The weather was nice yesterday. A little on the cool side compared the previous two days... was like mid 60s most of the day. It's pretty nice right now. I was only in the sun about forty minutes yesterday and I got cooked. silly white people, eh.

So I'm out at the pool right now... with my laptop.. in blue jeans and a tshirt. There is not a single "hot" girl here right now... but there are a ****load of mediocre ones. There are two of three with smokin' bodies but lacking elsewhere. There is one group here that is sitting right next to me.. they range from porkers my size to this one girl that must weigh and combined total of 100lbs... with wet towel, cellular phone, shoes, and bag. Honestly, she's so skinny her upper arms are smaller than my wrists are. There is another girl that keeps resituating so I can stare right at her crotch and she keeps trying to talk to me while I type. Scratch that, she slipped up and has her labia hanging out now after resituatingagain. Whoops, scratch that, she got up and pealed it out of her cooter. haha.

It's kind of funny after Monday's super hot female thing. Most of these girls here that are in bikinis either have love handles, guts, cellulite, stretch marks, or saddlebags. It's actually kind of a relief because then you don't have a bunch of girls fully clothed hanging around the pool. The whales haven't started showing up yet though. I don't know all the young people came from though. Because Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday there weren't many. It's kind of hard not to stare though is the problem. And it's like they instantly know when you look at them. It's easily 6:1 female to male here, even if you include all the old guys that are here. There are a ton of older people here because of the conference I'm at.

The sun did disappear though so there are fewer females. They're starting to thin out. Maybe it's time for me to go too. I'm really tired of the "island" music that's on. Why can't they play some billy joel or something at least.

Anyway, keep in mind it took me nearly an hour to write this. The wireless acces is sketchy at best. Especially for running a RDP session over VPN.

20. CyberSniper

I thought I'd hate coming back to the cold weather. When I got to Minnesota I was like "ah, snow". It was a 90 degree flight in a A320. I paid for an exit row seat and was planted between an elderly couple that one likes the aisle and one likes the window. I let the lady borrow my flashlight since the overhead lights were tempermental at best.

I got on a CanadaAir jet for the last leg home. We spent more time on the taxiway and landing than we did in the air. I kid you not, we were descending for a solid half hour. The seats were so goddamned small that my head hit the luggage above, my ass was too wide to fit in the seat with a guy even bigger than me sitting next to me, my knees hit the seat in front of me when I was sitting straight up, et cetera. In fact, the roof was too short for me to stand up straight. And I'm not tall. Damn midget Canadians. Apparently the pilot couldn't afford Microsoft Flight Simulator for Windows 95 because his landing was like he was trying to pile drive a bridge or something.

Yesterday I shoveled snow in my t-shirt. Ah, what a relief that was.