Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Plannin our first real family vacation..? about sedona AZ

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Stickseler, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

We are finaly going to go on a real Vacation. We are planning to goto Sedona AZ to se the Grand Canyon and maybee catch a Rangers Spring Training game.

Anyone familliar with http://www.pinkjeep.com/jeep-tours/sedona/ or does anyone have any ideas we can do there during the week.

Right now it will be a fly to Phoenix on Saturday the 4th and leave on the 11th or 12th, Rent a car and drive to Sedona to stay. I figure a day or 2 at the Canyon, then if its not too far I was thinking about a drive to do the Dam tour and maybe Vegas rfor a night. We will have our Time Share at Sedona but I dont mind paying for a hotel one night if I need to since I dont think we will be taking a trip like this for a while.

Any Ideas

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

From the way i am reading your post, you are thinkin the Grand Canyon is in Sedona,,it's not, it's about 1.5 maybe 2 hrs farther north yet, about an hour or so north of Flagstaff.
    Don't know much about the Sedona area, except it's some kind of resort area, not sure why, not much there, cept a bunch of trees and rocks.

The dam is probably about 3 hrs away from there, and Vegas another 45 minutes from the dam.

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Yea what 4X said. You could drive up to the Canyon but I'd suggest taking the train from Williams. Much more fun and just about the same time spent. They offer packages that include the nights stay. Jenn and I did it a while back and it was really fun. Nice to not have to worry about anything for a couple of days.

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I spent the best three days of my life in Sedona. It's one of the most beautiful places around. I will warn you though, it's kind of a hippy/new ager gathering spot.

There's Oak Creek Canyon. You need to take a drive to Jerome. The drive kind of sucks. After Cottonwood, the road gets narrow and windy, last time I did it was at night in the Blazer and it sucked, but Jerome is an old mining town that's like on the side of a frigging mountain. Lot's of historical type stuff to check out.

Flagstaff is a real nice town. Spent lots of time as a kid there. You can drive up to the observatory and look down on the town. About an hour east of Flagstaff is Meteor Crater.

If you are feeling real frisky, hit up Page/Lake Powell. You will definately need motel rooms if you venture that far. On the flip side, you can head to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. The drive once you get through the reservation is spectacular. They do a lot of car commercials on that highway. The North Rim is better I think because there's usually very little people, but on the bad side, you don't see much of the canyon as you can see from the South Rim.

There's a deer farm about 50 miles west of Flagstaff. If you feel like venturing east of Flagstaff, minus Meteor Crater, eastern AZ is the armpit of AZ. Even though the Petrified Forest and Painted Desert is out there, it's not worth it really to go out of your way to see it.

5. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Research the North rim. I am certain that they are closed certain times of the year because of winter.

I went in the winter before and the south side did'nt have that many tourists this time of year. The same for most of the National parks that I went to. Did'nt have to take any shuttles (was able to drive my own car).

6. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Actually our time share limits us to Sedona or Phoenix. I actually found the train last night so I think I'll look into that more. Right now I'm figuring 2-3 days for the Train/Canyon trip, 1 day to phoenix for a Rangers game and maybe a trip to the Dam.

7. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You can all Sedona and they will send you a torist packet with all the stuff that there is to do in the town and area around. Jerome is really cool, You can do most of Sedona in a day or so its not all that big. You can also call Phoenix and they will send you a packet also.

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Yes, it is closed in the winter. The road leading in gets snowed in pretty easily................